Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

changing the timing chain on 2003 chevy cavalier

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/3/2009
Chevy Mechanic: JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy replied 8 years ago
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
are you looking for instructions
Ineed to replace the timing chain. what steps do I have to take to complete this job. I also purchased a timing tensioner to fix the problem.
Service and Repair
Notes

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the camshaft cover.
  3. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  4. Remove the engine front cover.
  5. Rotate the engine until the crankshaft sprocket mark aligns with the second silver link (2) at the 5 o'clock position.
  6. Lower the vehicle.
  7. Remove the camshaft cover.

1. Ensure that the INT diamond on the intake camshaft sprocket is aligned with the copper link at (1) at the 2 o'clock position.

1. Ensure that the EXH triangle on the exhaust camshaft sprocket is aligned with the silver link (3).

1. Remove the timing chain tensioner.

1. Remove the timing chain tensioner guide.
  2. Remove the engine mount.

1. Remove the fixed timing chain guide access plug.

1. Remove the fixed timing chain guide.

1. Remove the upper timing chain guide.

1. Use a 24 mm wrench to hold the camshafts from turning.

1. Remove the exhaust camshaft sprocket bolt and discard.
  2. Remove the exhaust camshaft sprocket.

1. Remove the intake camshaft sprocket bolt and discard.
  2. Remove the intake camshaft sprocket.

1. Remove the timing chain through the top of the cylinder head.
  2. Remove the crankshaft sprocket.

1. Remove the balance shaft drive chain tensioner.

1. Remove the adjustable balance shaft chain guide.

1. Remove the small balance shaft drive chain guide.

1. Remove the upper balance shaft drive chain guide.

Notice: It may ease removal of the balance shaft drive chain to get all of the slack in the chain between the crankshaft and water pump sprockets.

1. Remove the balance shaft drive chain.

Installation Procedure

• Tools Required
  • J 45027 Tensioner Tool

Important: If the balance shafts are not properly timed to the engine, the engine may vibrate and make noise.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the upper balance shaft chain guide.

1. Install the small balance shaft chain guide.
  2. Tighten the balance shaft chain guide bolts.
    • Tighten the chain guide bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .

1. Install the adjustable balance shaft drive chain guide.

1. Turn the tensioner plunger 90 degrees in its bore and compress the plunger until a paper clip can be inserted through the hole in the plunger body and into hole in the tensioner plunger.
  2. Install the timing chain tensioner.
  3. Tighten the chain tensioner bolts.
    • Tighten the chain tensioner bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .
  1. Remove the paper clip from the balance shaft drive chain tensioner.

1. Install the crankshaft sprocket with timing mark at the 5 o'clock position.

1. Lower the timing chain through the opening in the top of the cylinder head. Carefully ensure that the chain goes around both sides of the cylinder block bosses (1,2).

1. Install the intake camshaft sprocket with the INT diamond at the 2 o'clock position.
  2. Hand tighten a NEW intake camshaft sprocket bolt.
  3. Route the timing chain around the crankshaft sprocket with the second silver link aligning with the timing mark.
  4. Route the timing chain around the intake camshaft sprocket with the copper colored link (1) aligning with the INT diamond.

1. Install the timing chain tensioner guide through the opening in the top of the cylinder head.

1. Install the exhaust camshaft sprocket with the timing chain silver link (3) at EXH triangle aligned at the 10 o'clock position.

1. Use a 24 mm wrench to rotate the camshaft slightly, until exhaust sprocket aligns with the camshaft.

1. Hand tighten the NEW exhaust camshaft sprocket bolt.
  2. Install the fixed timing chain guide.
    • Tighten the fixed timing chain bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .

1. Apply sealant, GM P/N 12345382 (Canadian P/N 10953489) compound to thread and install the timing chain guide bolt access hole plug.
    • Tighten the access hole plug to 40 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the engine mount.

1. Inspect the timing chain tensioner. If the timing chain tensioner, O-ring seal, or washer is damaged, replace the timing chain tensioner.
  2. Measure the timing chain tensioner assembly from end to end. A new tensioner should be supplied in the fully compressed non-active state. A tensioner in the compressed state will measure 72 mm (2.83 inch) (a) from end to end. A tensioner in the active state will measure 85 mm (3.35 inch) (a) from end to end.

1. If the timing chain tensioner is not in the compressed state, perform the following steps:
24.1.Remove the piston assembly from the body of the timing chain tensioner by pulling it out.
24.2.Install the J 45027-2 (2) into a vise.
24.3.Install the notch end of the piston assembly into the J 45027-2 (2).
24.4.Using the J 45027-1 (1), turn the ratchet cylinder into the piston.

1. Inspect the bore of the tensioner body for dirt, debris, and damage. If any damage appears, replace the tensioner. Clean dirt or debris out with a lint free cloth.
  2. Install the compressed piston assembly back into the timing chain tensioner body until it stops at the bottom of the bore. Do not compress the piston assembly against the bottom of the bore. If the piston assembly is compressed against the bottom of the bore, it will activate the tensioner, which will then need to be reset again.
  3. At this point the tensioner should measure approximately 72 mm (2.83 inch) (a) from end to end. If the tensioner does not read 72 mm (2.83 inch) (a) from end to end repeat steps 16.1 and 16.4.

1. Inspect to ensure all dirt and debris is removed from the timing chain tensioner threaded hole in the cylinder head.
  2. Install the new timing chain tensioner assembly.
  1. The timing chain tensioner is released by compressing it 2 mm (0.079 inch) which will release the locking mechanism in the ratchet. To release the timing chain tensioner, use a suitable tool with a rubber tip on the end. Feed the tool down through the cam drive chest to rest on the cam chain. Then give a sharp jolt diagonally downwards to release the tensioner.

1. Use a 24 mm wrench to hold the camshaft.
    • Tighten the NEW camshaft bolts to 85 Nm (63 ft. lbs.) plus 30 degrees .
  1. Install the camshaft cover.
  2. Raise the vehicle.
  3. Install the engine front cover.
  4. Lower the vehicle.
  5. Connect negative battery cable.

JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy