Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. The Service Engine soon light is

I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. The Service Engine soon light is coming on periodically. The last time it stayed off for over 400 miles however the other times it has come in any where from 50-100 miles of driving it. The emissions checked out fine as it recently passed inspection. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer.

It could be something as simple as a bad gas cap or a bad sensor, if the light is flashing while you are driving than it is a cylinder misfire which could cause damage to the catalytic convertor. You need to find out what code(s) are in the system by having it checked with a code scanner, check with your local parts store to see if they offer this service at no charge. After you have the codes it will be a little easier to determine what system is affected.

Paying the Deposit does not pay me.
Please ACCEPT my answer when you are satisfied.
Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!
PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Thanks
Mr GoodWrench

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The light is not flashing. it's on constantantly for x number of miles. I have noticed it more around when I put gas in the car.

It could be something as simple as a bad gas cap or a bad sensor. You need to find out what code(s) are in the system by having it checked with a code scanner, check with your local parts store to see if they offer this service at no charge. After you have the codes it will be a little easier to determine what system is affected.

Paying the Deposit does not pay me.
PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Thanks
Mr GoodWrench