Chevy

C5 Corvette expert only - 1999 with 65k miles had recent coolant…

Customer Question
C5 Corvette expert only -...
C5 Corvette expert only - 1999 with 65k miles had recent coolant leak, low coolant warning on DIC and high temp. I replaced the waterpump, upper/lower hoses and t-stat. Also replaced both belts. Checked all other hoses and connections. Filled with Dex-cool and distilled water, ran car until 205 degrees at 2000 rpm. Checked levels. all fine. next... Read full answer
C5 Corvette expert only - 1999 with 65k miles had recent coolant leak, low coolant warning on DIC and high temp. I replaced the waterpump, upper/lower hoses and t-stat. Also replaced both belts. Checked all other hoses and connections. Filled with Dex-cool and distilled water, ran car until 205 degrees at 2000 rpm. Checked levels. all fine. next day drove to store 5 miles, all fine. Today drove 2 miles to gym, temp reached 198 degrees. Came out and coolant dripping at point of oil pan drain bolt. Most likely close to a quart of coolant lost. No visible signs of leak from hoses or pump when looking at engine bay. Drove home, had low coolant DIC display, temp 205 degrees,parked in garage. No leak or drip since parking 4 hours ago.

What could be the problem? What would I check? How do I ensure issue will not repeat.

thanks
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/19/2009
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 9 years ago
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician

HelloCustomer Knowing what you did and not seeing the car, I can't tell you where your coolant leak is. What I do recommend and in this case it is warranted, pickup an ultraviolet dye kit for the cooling system and obtain the black light to view the stain. Add the dye to the cooling system, drive until you get the leak and then you can follow the stain, which will absolutely be visible right to the source. I have used it and have been able to find pin holes that formed when metal expanded, then sealed up when it cooled. You will find it with one of these kits.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Why would the leak not be consistent? Is there a coolant hose toward the back of the engine? (besides the heat hoses on the passenger side? Where do I find the kit? Give me some ideas in addition to the dye kit.

thanks

You verywell could have a leak related to heat. It could be a freezeout plug or a pinhole in a small coolant hose. The great thing about the dye is that it leaves a very deep neon green marker everywhere the coolant flows. It will absolutely lead you somewhere. I'm going to link you to a site that will show you a ton of these.

http://www.thefind.com/crafts/info-professional-uv-dye-light

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if too much coolant was put in the car? Is there an overflow hose which would purge the coolant out of the system to the ground? Is too much coolant even possible?
No, it's a closed system There should be no chance of overfilling the system. If coolant were to bypass, it would do so near the resivior, not on the engine. If you are seeing coolant on the oil pan bolt, it is definately coming from an area higher than that point. Fluid leaks are driven by gravity, so it can start at one point and travel, not revealing it's origin easily. Since you need to drive it, it makes it a little more challenging. With these dye kits, I use Tracerline products. Using a black light and the UV glasses, a very deep green stain will be visible. Without the light, you will basically just see your coolant leak, so don't be too concerned about it making a huge mess in the engine bay.
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Our 04 6.6 lly is overheating while towing...just replaced
Our 04 6.6 lly is overheating while towing...just replaced the radiator, two thermostats and cluch fan. Trunk now runs at 210 empty..is that in a normal range. … read more
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
self employed,
I have a 05 Duramax and it spits coolant out the overflow
Hi, I have a 05 Duramax and it spits coolant out the overflow while driving only. Any idea what I can trouble shoot? … read more
What is wrong with my coolant system. I changed my water pump
What is wrong with my coolant system. I changed my water pump because i had a leak in the area. It turned out the leak was from the gasket in the right side port. I change the pump anyway because it h… read more
David H
David H
Stop searching for answers—
Chevrolet Corvette: my 2008 ls3 Corvette is running hotter
my 2008 ls3 Corvette is running hotter than last summer by a good 10 / 15 degrees at stop lites and long idle . Last summer ,100 degree and better days she stayed ALWAYS at 198 . my fan is working as … read more
Service consultant,
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 96 Z28, keeps overheating, replaced
'96 Z28, keeps overheating, replaced water pump, thermostat, temp sensor, water pump on the head, 2 different radiator caps, trying to bleed air out of radiator. Replaced upper & lower hoses, check ov… read more
David H
David H
2002corvette: overheating..coolant cant..waterpump..hoses
I have 2002 corvette ...its started to overheating.....I changed the thermstate ...start their car is stored alot...thought maybe it was hanging up......anyways still overheats......but says their is … read more
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
self employed,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
2006 Chevy Cobalt: My antifreeze..coolant temp alert lit..196 degrees
After traveling about 120 miles, I returned home and my 2006 Chevy Cobalt was smoking, there was some bright florescent green fluid dripping and splattering out from underneath the front of the motor.… read more
Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy
Automotive Electrician,
Rebuilt..ran fine..500 to 600 rpm vice 1000 rpms, water temp rises
I purchased a 350 FI engine the was just rebuilt. I put the engine into my 1995 K1500. The engine ran fine, with these exceptions: engine idles at 500 to 600 rpm vice 1000 rpms, water temp rises to ab… read more
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
mechanic,
2004 corvette: heated on the highway without A?C on..overheat warning
2004 corvette. it over heated on the highway without A?C on. the overheat warning came on. i drove a quarter mile to reach a turn off and by then the temp gauge went back to normal. it was like the th… read more
JHoop
JHoop
Owner,Technician,
chevy: antifreeze..lifter..No visible leak on intake manifold, etc.
After a long trip, my chevy 350 low was low 1 gal antifreeze, lifter noise now. No visible leak on intake manifold, etc.… read more
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
mechanic,
monte carlo: 3.8l..temp gauge reads only some times..cooling fans stay
i have a 2000 ss monte carlo with a 3.8l, the problem is the low water level is on, temp gauge reads only some times, and the cooling fans stay on after the car is off( for about 3min), i have replace… read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Chevrolet Technician,
cavalier: parked..driven..drove..car and the temp gauge went
I have a 97 nchevy cavalier 2.2 r/s a couple of months ago the car was running a little warmer then usual so i changed the thermostat and it fixed the problem. two weeks the car has been parked not dr… read more
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
mechanic,
Stop searching for answers—
Avalanche..oil pressure..coolant temp..about 50 psi oil guage
hi, I have a 2002 avalanche north face 1500. I just got a coolant low level light on the message center oil pressure and coolant temp guages seems to be working fine, about 50 psi oil guage and about … read more
Michael Moore
Michael Moore
Team leader, bumper to bumper tech.,
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500: L..V..engine temp..the defroster/heater
I have just replaced the thermostat in my 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD w/ 4.8 L V-8. The engine temp has returned to normal, but am seeing only 100 degree F air from the defroster/heater (inadequate)… read more
msarles1
msarles1
Service tech,
vortec 5.7engine..low engine coolant indicator light came on the DIC.
I have a Chev 2003 with a Vortec 5.7engine w/65k miles on it. Recently the low engine coolant indicator light came on the DIC. I had the Chev dealer put more coolant in the coolant tank & they also pu… read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Chevrolet Technician,
2000 corvette: 000 miles..Oil pressure..psi..201 on highway and 205
I have a 2000 corvette with 131,000 miles . Oil pressure is running at 130 psi and coolant temp is running at 198-201 on highway and 205-214 in city are these numbers high ? , If so what should they b… read more
Robert
Robert
86 vette with automatic transmission...engine running..dipstick
86 vette with automatic transmission. Check tranny fluid level with engine running and hot. I bring level of fluid to acceptable range on dipstick. Approx. 1 qt leaks out within a relatively short per… read more
Auto Technician,
my 93 burb to replace the oil pump..1) abs..20 minutes..next morning
Hello, I pulled the motor out of my 93 burb to replace the oil pump. All back togather and running good except two things. 1) ABS did not work after inicially reinstalling the motor but stated to work… read more
John Miller
John Miller