Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1995 chevy blazer: The egr valve is acting up

Customer Question
I have a 1995 chevy...
I have a 1995 chevy blazer. The egr valve is acting up. It needs to be cleaned or replaced. How do I locate it and first clean it and then replace it if the cleaning doesn't work.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/10/2009
Chevy Mechanic: ase_master327, Shop Owner replied 8 years ago
ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Hi, thanks for asking...

Here is the location of the EGR valve on your Blazer.. You have to take it off to clean the valve and the passage in the engine.. so once you get it off... it should be pretty straightforward from there.

Here are those instructions:
graphic
Keep in mind that to properly test this 'system' you will need a scantool to be able to command the valve open and closed, to see how it reacts, since it is entirely copmputer controlled. Hope it helps!
I don't accept this because it doesn't show me any more than I have already. It doesn't tell me where exactly the egr valve is ie attached to ? and how to get to it and how I need to remove any excess gasket and what product I should use to clean the surface. My checking account has already been charged for this even though I didn't accept the answer. Dorothy Bittner
Hi, there is nothing hard about it... you only need basic hand tools and about 20 minutes of your time... Just remember what I said about properly testing the system.

TheEGR valve is under the throttle body.. You have to remove the ducting and such running from the throttle body to the air filter box... You should only need a flat head screwdriver and a 10MM socket to do this part.

When you get the ducting out of the way..Unplug and take your socket and unbolt the EGR valve as in the picture in the instructions. If you open the hood and look under there.. it will be obvious where it is.

Pull it out, and get a razor blade to scrape any 'leftover' gasket material from the mounting surfaces of the EGR valve and intake manifold.
Look up in there and see if the port in the engine is clogged.. If it is.. get a coathanger or something similar.. might use your screwdriver, as that stuff can get 'stubborn' Dig out as much as you can, and clear the passage way if it is blocked off. If it is blocked off.. some of the carbon will fall in the engine.. you can run a cleaner through the fuel system like Lucas to clean it out after that.

Putting it back together is just as easy.

...............Now.. as far as why you were charged.. you have only put money in your JustAnswer! account to be able to view any answers. You can get it back, if you want. But remember, I do not get any credit for helping you until you click Accept. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Hope it helps!
ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner

Thank you for your advice. I have a couple more questions to go along with this. I haven't done anything yet on the car but after backfiring a couple of times, the check engine light went out and it seems to be running better. This problem seems to tie in with problems that I have with the brakes at the same time and the ABS light has also been on. At first it was off for awhile, when the check engine light went off. The next time I started the engine the ABS light came back on. Can you advise me on this.

Thanks again.

Hmmm.. that is a bit funny kind of problem..
ABS systems don't turn on unless the vehicle is going so fast.. usually around 25-30 MPH. The fact that it came on as soon as you turned the vehicle on means there is a problem with power in the system. Either it is putting power out, or it is not getting any.

Does your connector have these holes with terminals in the same spots, on the DLC under the dash there?
graphic

ase_master327
ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner