Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How do i replace a water pump on a 2005 chevrolet malibu classic?

how do i replace a water pump on a 2005 chevrolet malibu classic?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/13/2009
ssnyder
ssnyder, ASE Certified Technician
hello i ll see if i can help what engine do you have
2.2

ok well i commen you if you are attem pting to do this yourself its a tough job but with a little patience you can do it

1. Drain the coolant.
  2. Remove the thermostat housing pipe-to-cylinder bolt near the front of the engine.
  3. Remove the exhaust manifold heat shield and bolts.
  4. Remove the water pump access plate from the front cover.
  5. Remove the right hand wheel nuts and wheel assembly.
  6. Remove the right hand inner push-pins and splash shield
  7. Disconnect the engine coolant temperature sensor electrical connector
  8. Important: A drain plug has been provided at the bottom of the water pump assembly for additional coolant drainage from the engine block and water pump. Drain the coolant from the plug at the bottom of the water pump.
  9. Remove the thermostat housing bolts.
  10. Move the thermostat housing toward the left hand side of the vehicle while twisting the water feed pipe from the rear of the water pump assembly. Leave the coolant hoses and thermostat housing cover connected.
  11. Remove the water feed pipe.
  12. Discard the water pipe seals
  13. Important: The water pump holding tool supports the sprocket and chain during water pump service. The tool must be used or the balance shaft must be re-timed. Install the J 43651 into position.
  14. Tighten the bolts on the water pump holding tool into the threads on the water pump sprocket.
  15. Install the access cover bolts that were removed earlier to secure the water pump holding tool to the front cover assembly.
  16. Remove the 3 inner water pump sprocket to water pump blots
  17. Important: Be sure to remove both water pump retaining bolts from the front of the engine block. Remove the 2 water pump assembly bolts.
    1. Remove the rear 2 water pump assembly bolts.
    2. Remove the water pump assembly and water pump O-ring seal.

Installation Procedure

18. Important: Prior to installing the water pump assembly, read the entire procedure. This will help avoid balance shaft chain re-timing and ensure proper sealing. Install a new water pump assembly seal

19.  

1. Important: A guide pin can be created to aid in water pump alignment. Use a M 6 m x 6 mm stud. Thread the pin into the water pump sprocket. Using the guide pin, align the pin with the water pump holding tool.
    2. Position the water pump assembly against the engine block and hand tighten the water pump bolts.
    3. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Install the inner water pump sprocket bolts. After 2 are snug, remove the guide pin and install the 3rd bolt.
      • Tighten the water pump bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .
    1. Tighten the water pump socket bolts last.
      • Tighten the water pump sprocket-to-water pump bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.)
        1. Remove the J 43651.
        2. Install the water pump access plate and bolts.
          • Tighten the water pump access bolts-to-front cover to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .
        1. Important: The water feed pipe seals can be lightly lubricated with silicone gel to aid in assembly. Install a new O-ring seal on the water feed p
        1. Install the thermostat housing to block seal onto the thermostat housing, if damaged.
        2. Install the water feed pipe into the water pump assembly.
        3. Align the water feed pipe to the thermostat housing assembly.
        4. Seat the water feed O-ring seal by pushing and twisting toward the water pump. Take care not to tear or damage the O-ring.
        5. The water feed pipe has a locating tab to assure proper alignment.
        6. Position the thermostat housing against the engine. Be sure that the thermostat housing pipe is properly positioned against the support bracket near the front of the engine.
        7. Install the thermostat housing to block bolts.
        1. Connect the electrical connector to coolant temperature sensor.
        2. Install the right hand inner splash shield and push pins.
        3. Install the right hand tire assembly and wheel nuts.
          • Tighten the wheel nuts to 125 Nm (92 ft. lbs.) .
        1. Lower the vehicle.
        2. Install the thermostat pipe bracket to cylinder head bolt.
          • Tighten the thermostat pipe bracket-to-cylinder head bolt to 8 Nm (71 inch lbs.) .
what is the J43651 and do u have any visual help with my instalation
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
sorry i i still dont know what the J43651 is. I would also like to ask how can i make sure i dont mess up the timebelt?
ok the j43651 is a special tool you will need to hold the timing chain in place so you dont have to re time it you can probably rent one at a local advance auto for around 10 - 12 bucks if not you wioll have to retime the whole thing but thats a whole nother bear
ssnyder
ssnyder, ASE Certified Technician
ssnyder
ssnyder
ssnyder, ASE Certified Technician