Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  38 Years of automotive repair experience. Technicial Assistant Specialist for OEM.
10906483

86 chevy truck: ignition cylinder..steering wheel off..unlock..column

Customer Question

trying to replace ignition cylinder on an 86 chevy truck. cant get steering wheel off. dont have a key to unlock the column. ?????
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dj replied 8 years ago.
Customer

To get the steering wheel off without a puller do this:

Loosen the nut a couple of turns but DO NOT TAKE THE NUT OFF. Leave it on but there needs to be a gap of about 1/16" between the steering wheel and the nut.

Grab the steering wheel and pull hard and rock from left to right. Pull very hard on the left and then very hard on the right and keep going back and forth. It will come off. It works every time. You may have to jerk it a dozen times or so, but it will come off.

If you take the nut all the way off, the steering wheel will come off and break your nose.

Thank you in advance for accepting my answer. If you feel that this information isn't helpful, please let me know and I will release your question back into the list.

Dj

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks.it worked.
Expert:  Dj replied 8 years ago.
Customer

I'm glad it worked for you.

Dj