Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

1999 Chevy: remove rear..rear axle..1500 4x4..differential

Customer Question
How to remove rear axle...
How to remove rear axle from a 1999 Chevy Silverado, 1500 4x4, with limited slip differential
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/26/2009
Chevy Mechanic: lazydog76, Chevy Technician replied 8 years ago
lazydog76
lazydog76, Chevy Technician

hope this helps, let me know..

8.5 Inch & 9.5 Inch Axles
  1. Raise and support the vehicle on a hoist.

2. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Tire and wheel assembly

• Brake caliper

• Rear cover and the gasket

• Pinion shaft locking screw.

• Pinion shaft, on axles without locking differential

3. On axles with a locking differential, remove the shaft part way. Rotate the case until the pinion shaft touches the housing.

4. On axles with a locking differential, use a screwdriver, or a similar tool, in order to enter the differential case and rotate the lock until the lock aligns with the thrust block.

5. Push the flange of the axle shaft toward the differential. Remove the lock from the button end of the axle shaft.

NOTE

When removing the axle shaft, do not rotate the shaft. Rotating the shaft will misalign the gears. Misaligning the gears will make the assembly difficult.

6. Remove the axle shaft from the housing.

7. If replacing only the axle shaft seal, remove the seal using a suitable seal removal tool.

8. Remove the bearing using a bearing remover.

9. Inspect all the parts for damage. Replace the parts as necessary.

Exploded view of the rear axle-8.5/8.6/9.5 inch

Click to Enlarge

To install:

1. Install a new bearing using a bearing installer.

2. Install new seal using a seal installer. Ensure the seal is fully seated in the axle tube.

NOTE

Carefully insert the axle shaft in order to not damage the seal.

3. Install the axle shaft into the housing. Slide the axle shaft into place allowing the splines to engage the differential side gear.

4. On axles without a locking differential, place the lock on the button end of the axle shaft.

5. On axles with a locking differential, keep the pinion shaft partially withdrawn.

6. On axles with a locking differential, place the lock on the axle shaft so that the ends are flush with the thrust block. Pull the shaft flange outward in order to seat the lock in the differential gear.

NOTE

Anytime you remove a differential pinion shaft locking screw, coat the screw threads with Loctite® 242 before reinstalling the screws. The screw has an adhesive coating in order to prevent the screw from loosening in the case. Removing the screw removes the adhesive on the screw.

7. Align the hole in the pinion shaft with the screw hole in the differential case.

8. Install or connect the following:

• Pinion flange locking bolt and tighten to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).

• Rear cover and the gasket

• Brake caliper

• Tire and wheel assembly

9. Fill the rear axle.

10. Remove the supports and lower the vehicle.

8.6 Inch Rear Axle

2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

3. Remove the brake caliper on disc brake models.

4. Remove the rear cover and gasket.

5. Remove the pinion shaft locking bolt.

6. On axles without a locking differential, remove the pinion shaft.

7. On axles with a locking differential, remove the shaft part way. Rotate the case until the pinion shaft touches the housing.

8. On axles with a locking differential, use a screwdriver, or a similar tool, in order to enter the differential case and rotate the lock until the lock aligns with the thrust block.

9. Remove the brake drum on drum brake models.

10. Push the flange of the axle shaft in toward the differential.

11. Remove the C-lock from the button end of the axle shaft.

12. When removing the axle shaft, do not rotate the shaft. Rotating the shaft will misalign the gears. Misaligning the gears will make assembly difficult.

13. Remove the axle shaft from the housing.

To install:

1. Install the axle shaft into the rear axle housing.

2. Slide the axle shaft into place allowing the splines to engage the differential side gear.

3. On axles without a locking differential, place the C-lock on the button end of the axle shaft.

4. On axles with a locking differential, keep the pinion shaft partially withdrawn.

5. Install the brake drum on drum brake models.

6. On axles with a locking differential, place the C-lock on the axle shaft so that the ends are flush with the thrust block.

7. Pull the shaft flange outward in order to seat the lock in the differential gear.

8. Align the hole in the pinion shaft with the bolt hole in the differential case.

9. Install the new pinion shaft locking bolt and tighten to 25 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).

10. Install the rear cover and the gasket.

11. Install the caliper on disc brake models.

12. Install the tire and wheel assembly.

13. Fill the rear axle, using the proper fluid.

14. Lower the vehicle.

9.75 Inch Axles
  1. Release the parking brake.

2. Raise and support the vehicle.

3. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

4. Remove the rear steering gear assembly.

5. Remove the steering knuckle assembly.

6. Remove the lock clip from the axle shaft end. The lock clip is spring loaded and fits securely in the axle shaft slot and may need to be push off the shaft end with a screw driver or related tool. Pushing the axle shaft inwards towards the gears my help in removal of the lock clip.

7. When removing the axle shaft do not rotate the shaft. Rotating the shaft will cause the gears to move. Misalignment of the gears will make the assembly difficult.

8. Remove the axle shaft.

To install:

1. Install the axle shaft.

2. Install the spring loaded lock clip to the axle shaft end.

3. Install the steering knuckle assembly.

4. Install the rear steering gear assembly.

5. Install the tire and wheel assembly.

6. Lower the vehicle.

10.5 Inch Rear Axle
  1. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Tire and wheel

• Brake caliper

• Brake rotor

• Flange bolts

Rear axle shaft removal-10.5 inch 25 Series Silverado

2. Lightly rap the axle shaft with a soft-faced hammer in order to loosen the shaft. Grip the rib on the axle shaft flange with a locking pliers. Twist the axle shaft flange in order to start the axle shaft removal. Remove the axle shaft from the tube.

3. Remove the gasket.

4. Clean the axle shaft flange and the outside face of the hub assembly. Inspect all the parts. Replace the parts as necessary.

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

• Gasket onto the axle shaft

• Gasket and axle shaft into the tube. Ensure the shaft splines mesh into the differential side gear. Align the holes in the axle flange and the gasket with the holes in the hub.

• Axle flange bolts and tighten to 110 ft. lbs. (150 Nm).

• Rotor

• Caliper

• Wheel and tire

lazydog76
lazydog76, Chevy Technician
My truck has what I think they call Multi-Disc Clutch Packs, and i can not see any "c" bracket/clips
ok the axle will still come out the same.
how do i know what size in. azle i have. With the clutch pack on two sides is there c locks to be removed
im sorry but i don't have a diagram, i am gonna opt out and let another tech help you.
I'm sorry to
lazydog76
lazydog76
lazydog76, Chevy Technician