Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevy: truck

2001 5.3 litter chevy silverado...
2001 5.3 litter chevy silverado knock sensor location and diagram on truck
6/17/2009
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

this should do it

thanks

Knock Sensor (KS)

On the top of the block near the left rear

Service and Repair

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the intake manifold.
  2. Remove the knock sensor wiring harness assembly.

1. Remove the Knock Sensor (KS) .

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

1. Install the knock sensor. Tighten Torque the sensor to 20 N.m (15 lb ft) .

1. Install the knock sensor wiring harness assembly.
  2. Install the intake manifold.
need complete brake downsteps to install knock sensor so i don't take off too many parts

sorry comeing a storm here it kicks me offline...i think what you want ios the intake manifold also

thanks

Intake Manifold Removal

Important: The intake manifold, throttle body, fuel injection rail, and fuel injectors may be removed as an assembly. If not servicing the individual components, remove the manifold as a complete assembly.
DO NOT reuse the intake manifold-to-cylinder head gaskets.

1. Remove the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose (1) and valve (2).

1. Remove the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor (1) (if required).
  2. Remove the engine coolant air bleed clamp and hose from the throttle body.

1. Remove the accelerator control cable bracket (2) and bolts (1) (if required).

1. Remove the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) solenoid (3), bolt (2), and isolator (1).

1. Remove the intake manifold bolts.
  2. Remove the intake manifold with gaskets.

1. Separate the intake manifold-to-cylinder head gaskets (1) from the manifold.
  2. Discard the intake manifold gaskets.
Intake Manifold Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure.
  2. Drain the engine coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Cooling System.

1. Remove the engine sight shield. Refer to Engine Sight Shield Replacement Caution: In order to avoid possible injury or vehicle damage, always replace the accelerator control cable with a NEW cable whenever you remove the engine from the vehicle.In order to avoid cruise control cable damage, position the cable out of the way while you remove or install the engine. Do not pry or lean against the cruise control cable and do not kink the cable. You must replace a damaged cable.
  2. Disconnect the accelerator control cable and the cruise control cable, if equipped, from the throttle shaft. Refer to Accelerator Controls Cable Replacement in Powertrain Management.
  3. Position the cables to the side.
  4. Remove the engine sight shield mounting bracket and the bolts.

1. Remove the air cleaner duct.

1. Remove the inlet coolant hose from the throttle body.

1. Remove the vapor vent tube hose from the throttle body.
  2. Remove the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) pipe bracket. Refer to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Pipe Replacement in Powertrain Management.

1. Open the large electrical harness retainer, then remove one M6 nut in order to separate the engine harness from the intake manifold.

1. Disconnect the following electrical connectors:
    • Eight fuel injector connectors
    • Idle air control (IAC) motor
    • Throttle position (TP) sensor
    • Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge solenoid
    • Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor
  1. Set the electrical harness aside.
  2. Disconnect the purge solenoid vent tube from the solenoid by squeezing the retainer, then release the tube from the solenoid. Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Replacement in Powertrain Management.
  3. Disconnect the fuel pipes from the fuel rail. Refer to Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Metal Collar) in Powertrain Management.

1. Remove the vacuum brake booster hose, if equipped.

1. Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve (2) and hose (1).
  2. Remove the intake manifold from the engine. Refer to Intake Manifold Removal.
  3. Clean and inspect the intake manifold and all sealing surfaces. Refer to Intake Manifold Clean and Inspect.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the intake manifold to the engine. Refer to Intake Manifold Installation.
  2. Install the vacuum brake booster hose, if equipped.

1. Install the PCV valve (2) and the hose (1).
  2. Connect the fuel pipes to the fuel rail. Refer to Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Metal Collar) in Powertrain Management.
  3. Connect the purge solenoid vent tube to the purge solenoid. Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Replacement in Powertrain Management. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the engine electrical harness and nut. Tighten the engine wiring harness nut to 10 Nm(89 inch lbs.).

1. Route the harness over the engine, then install the following connectors.
    • EVAP
    • TP
    • MAP
    • Fuel pipes
    • IAC
    • Eight fuel injector connectors

Caution: In order to avoid possible injury or vehicle damage, always replace the accelerator control cable with a NEW cable whenever you remove the engine from the vehicle.
In order to avoid cruise control cable damage, position the cable out of the way while you remove or install the engine. Do not pry or lean against the cruise control cable and do not kink the cable. You must replace a damaged cable.

• Install the engine sight shield mounting bracket and the bolts.
  • Install the accelerator control cable and the cruise control cable, if equipped, to the throttle shaft. Refer to Accelerator Controls Cable Replacement in Powertrain Management.
  1. Install the engine sight shield. Refer to Engine Sight Shield Replacement.
  2. Install the EGR pipe bracket. Refer to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Pipe Replacement in Powertrain Management.

1. Install the vapor vent tube hose to the throttle body.

1. Install the coolant hose to the throttle body.

1. Install the air cleaner duct.
  2. Fill the engine with coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Cooling System.
  3. Connect the battery negative cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure.
Tim's Auto Repair

2001 5.3 liter chevy silverado complete breakdown to install knocks sensor

Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician

My name is Scott. I am a bit confused with the above. I will clear this up for you.

While you have the intake off, replace the coolant capillary o rings at each corner of the head. Also do yourself a favor and install the kinock sensor harness also.

Scott.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic