Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

how do I remove fan from water pump on 2002 Chevy suburban

Customer Question
how do I remove...
how do I remove fan from water pump on 2002 Chevy suburban with 6.0 engine?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/10/2009
Chevy Mechanic: Robert, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Technician
There are some special tools needed. I posted a procedure below. If you don't have the tool that holds the waterpump pully still so that you can break the nut loose on the fan clutch, If you are real careful, and you have an air hammer, you can hit the nut part of the fan clutch with the air chisel to turn it counterclockwise, but damage to the fan clutch can result if not careful. If this is not an option, sometimes you can put a long wrench on the fan clutch and hit the end of the wrench counter clockwise with a heavy hammer and this will work sometimes if the thing is not extremely tight. If this does not work, then i am afraid you will need the special tools. Some parts stores will have these special tools which is definately the best, XXXXX XXXXX to do the job. Let me know if I can help you further.
J 46406 Fan Clutch Remover and Installer
J 41240-5A Fan Clutch Wrench

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 362333  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Remove the upper fan shroud. Refer to Engine Coolant Fan Upper Shroud Replacement .
  2. Install theJ 46406 and the J 41240-5A to the fan clutch.
    Object Number: 367004  Size: SH
  3. Remove the fan hub nut from the water pump in a counterclockwise rotation.
  4. Lay the fan blade face down on a workbench.
    Object Number: 367006  Size: SH
  5. Remove the fan clutch bolts from the rear of the fan blade, if necessary.
  6. Separate the fan clutch from the fan blade.

Installation Procedure

Caution: Do not use or attempt to repair a damaged cooling fan assembly. Replace damaged fans with new assemblies. An unbalanced cooling fan could fly apart causing personal injury and property damage.

Object Number: 367006  Size: SH
  1. Install the fan clutch bolts.
  2. Install the fan clutch onto the fan blade, if necessary.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the fan clutch bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 23 N·m (17 lb ft).

Object Number: 367004  Size: SH
  4. Install the fan blade.
    Object Number: 362333  Size: SH
  5. Install the J 46406 and the J 41240-5A to the fan clutch.

Tighten
    Tighten the fan clutch nut clockwise to 56 N·m (41 lb ft).

6. Install the upper fan shroud. Refer to Engine Coolant Fan Upper Shroud Replacement
Robert
Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Technician