Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Iam trying to replace a driver side axle seal on a 1997 chevy

Customer Question
4x4 and I need to...
Iam trying to replace a driver side axle seal on a 1997 chevy 4x4 and I need to know how the axle comes out of the differential?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/10/2009
Chevy Mechanic: joshsdaddy2006, Chevy Technician replied 8 years ago
joshsdaddy2006
joshsdaddy2006, Chevy Technician
front seal or rear?
Sorry its the front.
chevy pick-up? what size motor?
1997 chevy 1500 4x4 350

the seal is located on the inside of the steering knuckle on these. i've included a picture, hope this helps. Any feedback is well appreciated, and please except when satisfied with my answer.

REMOVAL

NOTE: Raise the vehicle and support with suitable safety stands.

Remove or disconnect the following:

1. Tire and wheel assembly.
    1. Wrap shop towels around both the inner and outer ON joint boots to avoid damage to the boots during removal and installation.
  1. Brake caliper. NOTE: Support the caliper with a piece of wire to prevent damage to the brake line.
  2. Brake rotor.
  3. Drive axle (halfshaft) nut (120).
  4. Washer (119).
  5. We rod nut (124).
  6. Tie rod end from the knuckle (117).
  7. Hub and bearing assembly (114), using a puller. NOTE: Lay the hub and bearing assembly on the hub bolt (outboard) side. This will prevent damage or contamination of the bearing seal.
  8. Drive axle (halfshaft).
  9. Splash shield bolts (128).
  10. Splash shield (118).
  1. Upper ball joint nut.

13.Upper ball joint (115) from the knuckle (117). Using J 36607.

1. Lower ball joint nut.

15.Lower ball joint (127) from the knuckle (117). Using J 36607.

1. Knuckle (117).
  2. Seal from the knuckle.

INSTALLATION

CAUTION: Always use the correct fastener in the proper location. When you replace a fastener, use ONLY the exact part number for that application. The manufacturer will call out those fasteners that require a replacement after removal. The manufacturer will also call out the fasteners that require thread lockers or thread sealant. UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED, do not use supplemental coatings (paints, greases, or other corrosion Inhibitors) on threaded fasteners or fastener joint interfaces. Generally, such coatings adversely affect the fastener torque and joint clamping force, and may damage the fastener. When you install fasteners, use the correct tightening sequence and specifications. Following these instructions can help you avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install or connect the following:

1. Seal (126) into the knuckle (117) using J 36605.
  2. Knuckle (117) to the upper and lower bail joints (115 and 127).
  3. Nuts (129).
    • Tighten
    • Lower stud nut (129) to 128 Nm (94 ft. lbs.) .
    • Upper stud nut (129) to 100 Nm (74 ft. lbs.) .
    • Tighten the nuts to align the cotter pin. Do not tighten more than 1/6 turn.
  1. New cotter pins. Bend the pin ends against the nut.
  2. Splash shield (118). Be sure the splash shield is aligned properly.
  3. Splash shield bolts (128).
    • Tighten
    • Bolts (128) to 26 Nm (19 ft. lbs.) .
    • Prelube steering knuckle-seal.
  1. Drive axle (halfshaft).
  2. Hub and bearing assembly (114). Align the threaded holes.
  3. Bolts (116). Tighten (116) to 180 Nm (133 ft. lbs.) .
  4. Tie rod end (125) to the knuckle (117).
  5. Tie rod nut (124). Tighten (124) to 48 Nm (35 ft. lbs.) .
  6. Washer (119).
  7. Nut (120). Tighten (120) to 225 Nm (165 ft. lbs.) .
  8. Brake rotor.
  9. Brake caliper.
  10. Are and wheel assembly.
    • Remove the jack stand.
    • Lower the vehicle.
    • Check vehicle trim height, and adjust if necessary.

graphic

The axle seal that is in the front differential drivers side how does the axle come out     4x4
Are you asking where the front axle goes into the differential?
I have a leak at the seal drivers side in the front differential and I need to take the axle out of the differential to replace the seal so I need to know how to get the axle out?

The axle is a half shaft, it should just be bolted to the flange on the differencial. I'll include a blow up view. Let me know if this is the style you have. It should be.

graphic

Here is a blow up of the differencial. The seal i understand is # XXXXX

graphic

In the picture of the differential the output shaft on drivers side is what i need to remove the seal is #29
seal #29 is actually the seal that would be on the passinger side. that blow up is of a disassembled differencial. The seal on the drivers side is seal #3.
This is a front differential it is the short output shaft left side #29
I must opt out, you asked how to remove the axles and i explained they bolt at the flange. Noe i'm trying to explain the seal on the drivers side is seal # XXXXX and your insisting its #29. which if you look at how the blow up is that is the passengers side.
the left side output shaft is the short shaft and it is the long shaft on the passenger side im looking at the truck right now.it is #29
i am trying to replace the driver side output shaft seal and i need to know how the the output shaft comes out of the front differential? 1997 chevy 1500 4x4 5.7 litre.It is the short shaft of the two in the front differential seal #29
Chevy Mechanic: ase_master327, Shop Owner replied 8 years ago
ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Hi, Joshesdaddy asked if I could help a little bit on this one.. I have to tell you.. if this seal is leaking, then there is a very good chance of the bearings inside that case are also worn..

This seal is not something that 'wears out'.. As much as I hate to say it..Chances are that you would be better off, just replacing the while thing. Undecided

Either joshesdaddy or myself might be able to come up with instructions on rebuilding it, if you wanted to go that route.

Just let me know.
ase_master327
ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner