Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2003 suburban: throttle..i did rotate the plate..engine power

i have a P2135 code...
i have a P2135 code on my 2003 suburban 5.3 elect throttle after i removed the tb for cleaning. i did rotate the plate to clean it also while off the truck. also the info center in the dash says"reduced engine power". how do i fix this?
4/9/2009
Anthony
Anthony, Chevy Technician

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

2135 is for a bad throttle body if it came up after cleaning it. You may have to replace it with a new one or wait and see if it dries out and begins to work again.

i cleaned it with a thr. body safe cleaner, if that matters?
It must have found its way into the electronics inside of the unit.
great, thanks.so if it doesn't work after ample drying time then it's no good?

Yes that's correct. Below is the code definition. What it is saying is that the computer has no idea what position the throttle plate is in. That would be caused by moving it by hand or the cleaner penetrating the unit and damaging the electronics. See below

DTC P2135

Circuit Description

The throttle position (TP) sensors 1 and 2 are potentiometer type sensors each with three circuits:

• A 5-volt reference circuit
  • A low reference circuit
  • A signal circuit

The TP sensors are used to determine the throttle plate angle for various engine management systems. The control module provides each TP sensor a 5-volt reference circuit and a low reference circuit. The TP sensors then provide the control module with signal voltage proportional to throttle plate movement. Both TP sensor signal voltages are low at closed throttle and increase as the throttle opens. When the control module detects that TP sensor 1 signal and TP sensor 2 signals disagree or signal voltages are outside the predetermined range, this DTC sets.

Conditions for Running the DTC

• DTCs P1518 or P2108 not set.
  • The ignition switch is in the crank or run position.
  • The ignition voltage is more than 5.23 volts.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

• The TP sensor 2 disagrees with the TP sensor 1 by more than 7.5 percent.
  • The above condition is present for more than 1 second.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame and/or the Failure Records.
  • The control module commands the TAC system to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.
  • A message center or an indicator displays Reduced Engine Power.
  • Under certain conditions the control module commands the engine OFF.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
  • A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
  • Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Diagnostic Aids

• Inspect the throttle actuator control (TAC) module connectors for signs of water intrusion. If water intrusion occurs, multiple DTCs may set without any circuit or component conditions found during diagnostic testing.
  • When the TAC module detects a condition within the TAC system, more than 1 TAC system related DTC may set. This is due to the many redundant tests run continuously on this system. Locating and repairing 1 individual condition may correct more than 1 DTC. Disconnecting components during testing may set additional DTCs. Remember this if you review the stored information in Capture Info.
  • If this DTC is determined to be intermittent, refer to Intermittent Conditions .

Test Description

The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.

1. When the TAC module detects a condition within the TAC system, more than 1 TAC system related DTC may set. This is due to the many redundant tests run continuously on this system. Locating and repairing 1 individual condition may correct more than 1 DTC. Disconnecting components during testing may set additional DTCs. Remember this if you review the stored information in Capture Info.

Anthony
Anthony, Chevy Technician
Anthony
Anthony
Anthony, Chevy Technician