Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How do i install a thermostat into a 2003 impala

Customer Question
how do i install a thermostat into a 2003 impala
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/30/2009
Chevy Mechanic: Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER replied 8 years ago
Michael Moore
Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER
What engine is in the car? a 3.4liter or a 3.8liter
3.4liter

The 3.4 liter engine thermostat is located on the drivers side of the engine, where the radiator hose goes in. This thermostat can be hard to remove, the water outlet has two bolts, the upper is not too hard to get off, the lower one is in a very tight space. The GM proceedure calls for removing the exhaust crossover pipe, however you can remove it with removing the pipe. The problem is getting to the lower bolt. If you can get a short wrench in there, it can be done. The water outlet is sloted where the lower bolt is, so you do not have to get the bolt all the way out to remove the water outlet, just get it out about 3/4 of the way. I will give you the GM instructions.

Procedure

1. Remove the air cleaner intake duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Inlet Duct Replacement in Engine Controls - 3.4L.
  2. Partially drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
    Object Number: 70064  Size: SH

• Use the J 38185 to reposition the hose clamp from the water outlet housing.
  • Remove the radiator inlet hose from the water outlet housing.
  • Remove the exhaust crossover pipe. Refer to Exhaust Crossover Pipe Replacement in Engine Exhaust.
    Object Number: 30962  Size: SH
  • Object Number: 190524  Size: SH

• Remove the air cleaner intake duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Inlet Duct Replacement in Engine Controls - 3.4L.
  • Remove the thermostat by-pass pipe. Refer to Thermostat Bypass Pipes Replacement in Engine Cooling.
  • Remove the exhaust crossover heat shield bolts.
  • Remove the exhaust crossover heat shield.
    Object Number: 190525  Size: SH
  •  

Michael Moore
    Michael Moore