Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2002 Trailblazer, the back speakers dont work at

Customer Question
I have a 2002 Trailblazer...
I have a 2002 Trailblazer, the back speakers don't work at all and the driver side speaker works but is almost impossible hear. The front passenger works fine. All the other electronics in the door seem to work ok with the exception of the keyless remote.. I put a new battery in and still nothing. I've heard this could be related to large and unknown electrical problem? Are there any fixes I can try? Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/14/2009
Chevy Mechanic: John D, Retired General Mechanic replied 8 years ago
John D
John D, Retired General Mechanic

HiCustomer my name isXXXXX can help you with your speaker problem but I can't help you re-program your remote. If you have an owners manual it should tell you how to do this. Also, going to a dealership and asking them how, may work.

Now, if you had a transponder ignition and wanted to program a user programmable key, I could help there.

Before we begin on your speakers, tell me about your stereo.

• Is it original equipment or is it after market.
  • Are the speaker grills damaged or broken
  • Has anyone been digging around in the dash installing GPS or something else?

From what you've said, you may need new front speakers, but more on that later.

Get me this info and we'll go on from here.

Thanks for using Just Answer for the help you need.

John D

It is the original system, The speaker grills look fine and as far as I know nothing has been installed.

Ok,Customer

This should be pretty straight forward.

What you will probably need to do is replace both front speakers, after market is ok, so you don't need to do factory. You'll save some money.

These speakers need to be matched so you will need to remove at least one speaker to see what you need.

But, before you go out and buy anything check out the wiring on the back of the speaker you're having trouble with.

The connectors on the back are labeled + and -. This is so you hook up the correct wire to each point. When you look it over see what it tells you about the quality you see. Check out the diaphram to see it's not broken. On the rear make sure the wiring is sound and unbroken. Don't just look at the wires that connect to the speaker but the wires going the speaker wire connections to the speaker itself. Just remember, if it looks soft, don't touch it. Grab the hard stuff all you want.

Also, before you go buy anything, remove the stereo and look at the rear where they connect everything. The modular plug back there should contain all wiring for all speakers, only the wiring will be color coded.

Follow the path for all 4-6 sets of wires as 2 sets will go to the front doors and two sets will go to the rear. Some vehicles have an intermediate set of speakers.

Most speaker wires will run under the drivers threshold, thats the aluminum plate that protects and holds down your carpet. Unscrew it and lift it up so you can check for wiring damage.

Since your front speakers do work, you may only have a bad + or - wire connection on the driver side and MAYBE a broken harness or maybe one that is just unplugged for the back.

To learn which it is you will need to look at the back of your stereo and follow the wires.

This is kind of like a treasure hunt with the treasure being a loose or broken wire and not a speaker or a set of missing speakers, so do remove the cover from over the rear speakers to make sure they are still there.

Let me know what you findCustomerand we can go on from there.

It's just about 6:30 here so I'm going to break for dinner. Just let me know.

John D

John D
John D, Retired General Mechanic
Ok, well it will be a little while before I do this. Probably next weekend. Last question, After I do this will this answer be here to reply to with my findings? If so I will tell you what I find as soon as I get the time to do some wire hunting. Thanks

I didn't really understand this questionCustomerbut if you want to know if I'll be available, the answer is yes since I will not have been paid yet.

That may mean that you will need to re-open the question because it will have timed out.

I do rely on past experience to answer the questions I select to anwser so my information is accurate but may not be vehicle specific, just accurate as to content and the focus of the question.

While I don't worry about the money it is important that you don't forget the fact that this is a pay site and your deposit did not pay for an experts help. Mine in this case.

I have had people tell me I'm nosy or that I don't need to know, but when you choose to help someone you really do need to know what they need and not every one will understand that.

I'm glad you do.

Thanks for using Just AnswerCustomer

John D.

John D
John D
John D, Retired General Mechanic