GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

PO342 - Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 (Circuit Low Input)

Customer Question

I love my Cavalier but it's giving me quite a headache lately. My check engine light was on & the exhaust was extrememly loud. I had the catalytic converter replaced & the computer reset. A few days later, the light came back on. It comes and goes at random times reads the above (subject.) How hard is it to replace and where is it located? I know there's actually two but I'm unsure of other details neccessary.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Chevy?
-What model is your Chevy?
-How many miles are on your Chevy?
-What type of engine is in your Chevy?
-
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Bluebell is a 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier, 2.2L, 4 cylinder. Just hit 88,000 miles on Monday. The problem began (random stalling while idling) soon after I purchased the car in June 2008 when it had 76,000 miles on it. (The place I bought it told me it was the accelerator cable back then and refuses to look at it further.)

Ok, the camshaft position sensor is on the back fo the engine by the oil filter. It should not be too bad to change. There is one bolt and then it pulls out.

Object Number: 10815  Size: SH

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where is it's partner sensor located? As I said, I'm aware that there are two sensors. And I should have been more specific as to the portion of my question regarding difficulty. I was looking for of a "number of shop hours" answer. (It's the last thing it needs for inspection!!!)
If you are looking for the crankshaft sensor, it is farther towards the transmission on the back of the engine, under the coil pack. The labour time to change the camshaft sensor is 0.7 hours.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you!!! Hopefully, this works out well. Kiss
I hope it does as well.
If this is all the information you need, please click accept to release the deposit so I get paid. Thanks.