How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steve Your Own Question
Steve, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Chevy
Satisfied Customers: 3478
Experience:  ase master tech over 25 years
Type Your Chevy Question Here...
Steve is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to change the transmission fluid & filter/screen in

This answer was rated:

I need to change the transmission fluid & filter/screen in my 4WD 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with 5.3 EFI VORTEC V8 engine and 4-spd auto trans w/OD. Can you please tell me the part number for filter/screen and type & amount of transmission fluid I will need. THANK YOU! XXXXX PA (email:[email protected])
Your Tahoe should have the deep pan. It takes 7 quatrs of Dexron III fluid. here is the GM part number for the filter kit which is the filter and gasket.
71 - Deep Pan 24208576 $45.92
Steve and 2 other Chevy Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.



THANK YOU! Very helpful.


Also can I bother you to see if that 7 quarts includes the fluid in the torque converter?

THANKS again,


Gregg Frank

Pittsburgh, PA

[email protected]

You will not be able to drain the torque converter. That is just the fluid in the pan. Always double check level when done.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Oh okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the torque converter fluid was user accessible (possibly with special tools?) and supposed to be replaced with the rest of the fluid.

THANKS for the reminder about checking fluid also!


Gregg Frank

Pittsburgh, PA

email: [email protected]

Glad to help. Years ago mostly Ford converters had a drain plug. With lock up converters there is no way to drain them anymore.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THANKS again Steve!

One more question, do you have the ability to check by VIN to see whether I have the shallow or deep pan transmission?

Gregg Frank
Sorry but I do not have that ability. From my experiance the 4wds have the deeper pan for more fluid cooling capacity
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

THANK YOU again Steve, you were extremely helpful!

Gregg Frank

Pittsburgh, PA

[email protected]
Glad to be of help to you.