Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2000 Olds Intrigue 3.5 overheating at 1500 RPM. Replaced thermostat(enhanced

Customer Question
one second time) water pump...
2000 Olds Intrigue 3.5 overheating at 1500 RPM. Replaced thermostat(enhanced one second time) water pump, intake gaskets, tensioner, etc. At 1500 Rpm overheats, boost it up to 2100 RPM does not. Multiple post on internet for the same problem, multiple solutions have tried almost all of them.   Had checked for block, head gaskets also, no leak! Whats the fix for this problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
3/7/2009
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 8 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Welcome. Will it overheat idle?
No.

OK, I did see a bulletin in the GM manual about polishing the neck of the surge tank. I will include it below. Have you tried it?

#00-06-02-001: Engine Runs Hot, Overheats, Loss of Coolant (Polish Filler Neck/Replace Radiator Cap) - (Jan 5, 2000)

Subject:Engine Running Hot, Overheating and/or Loss of Coolant (Polish Radiator Filler Neck and Replace Radiator Cap)

Models:1999-2000 Passenger Cars and Trucks
with Composite Radiator End Tank

Condition

Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

Engine running hot
Engine overheating, and/or
Loss of coolant/low coolant message

Cause

The radiator filler neck may have an imperfection in the sealing surface.

Correction

Important: DO NOT REPLACE THE RADIATOR.

Using a piece of 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper backed with a flat piece of wood, polish the filler neck sealing surface using a circular motion.

Replace the radiator pressure cap with a cap of the same part number as shown in the GM Service Parts Catalog.

No radiator cap. The cap is on the coolant tank.
OK, have you checked or replaced the surge tank pressure cap?
yes
Is the check engine light on? Can you list all the things you have tried?
I have listed the things that I have tried twice. Two thermostats, one the enhanced GM version, water pump, intake manifold gaskets, gaskets behind the throttle body, I don't know what the part is called, something about crossover?, New belt tensioner, pressure cap, flush and fill, T installed to push coolant through and air out. Block and head gasket tests, came back negative. It does not overheat at 2100 RPM.

Ok, I was meaning the tricks on the Internet you have tried. I see the items you listed and they are what I would do.

When it does overheat, does it just show warm or does it push fluid out?

Most of the things listed are the things on the internet. It never pushes coolant out. I can be driving it starts to go up to the hot, by the time it gets to the 3/4 range I have punched the gas to get it to go up to 2100 RPM or better, the temperature "immediately begins to drop" to normal range, I'm talking within a few seconds its down to normal range.

OK, I think you may have an issue in the radiator. Some sort of restriction that needs the higher rpm to overcome. I will post the chart from the manual, but it seems you have done most everything.

Engine Overheating

Step

Action

Value(s)

Yes

No

DEFINITION: The engine temperature lamp comes on and stays on, the temperature gauge shows hot or coolant overflows from the coolant recovery reservoir onto the ground while the engine is running.

1

Check for a missing or damaged radiator upper baffle and/or center air deflector.

Is the baffle or deflector missing or damaged?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 2

2

Check for a loss of coolant.

Is there a loss of coolant?

--

Go to Step 3

Go to Step 4

3

Fill the system to the specified level. Refer to Loss of Coolant .

Does the engine overheat?

--

Go to Step 4

System OK

4

Check for low coolant protection. Refer to Coolant Concentration Testing .

Is the coolant to the correct correction?

--

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 8

5

Check for a loss of system pressure. Refer to Cooling System Leak Testing .

Is there a loss of system pressure?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 6

6

Check for a faulty engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor. Refer to DTC P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage and DTC P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage in Engine Controls - 3.5L.

Is the sensor operating properly?

--

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 8

7

Check for a cracked coolant recovery reservoir or a leaking hose. Refer to Loss of Coolant .

Is the reservoir cracked or is the hose leaking?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 3

8

Repair or install new parts as necessary, then retest.

Does the engine overheat?

--

Go to Step 9

System OK

9

Check for incorrect drive belt tension. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement in Engine Mechanical - 3.5L.

Is the belt to the correct tension?

--

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 8

10

Correct for damaged water pump driveshaft.

Is the water pump driveshaft damaged or is the seal leaking?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 11

11

Check for obstructed radiator air flow or bent radiator fins.

Is the radiator air flow obstructed?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 12

12

Check for blocked cooling system passages.

Are the cooling system passages blocked?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 13

13

Check for improper direction or inoperative cooling fans. Refer to Engine Coolant Fan Motor Replacement .

Are the cooling fans and the motors operating correctly?

--

Go to Step 14

Go to Step 8

14

Check the thermostat. Refer to Thermostat Diagnosis .

Is the thermostat stuck in the closed position?

--

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 16

15

Replace the thermostat. Refer to Engine Coolant Thermostat Replacement .

Does the engine overheat?

--

Go to Step 16

System OK

16

Check for faulty water pump. Refer to Water Pump Replacement .

Are the impeller blades broken or eroded?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 17

17

Check the radiator cooling capacity.

Is the proper sized radiator being used on the vehicle?

--

Go to Step 3

Go to Step 18

18

Consult the current parts catalog. If necessary, replace the radiator. Refer to Radiator Replacement .

Is the repair complete?

--

System OK

I will attempt to print the list and take it to the guy doing the work. Reading down through it I think we have checked everything on the list. Had even put a pressure tester to see if we were getting sufficient flow of coolant, it had tested within normal ranges, I personally don't remember what those ranges were.
Ok, HERE is a PDF one that you can print.
I have already spent more time on ;here than I had intended. I will have to get back with you if any of this works. I'm not convinced it will. I think GM should post the fix on line, have a recall or something. One web site had several thousand inquiries about this problem. None of them had a sure fire fix.
Well let me know how it works. I have searched for bulletins and there are not recalls that I can see, but if you post your VIN I can be sure.
VIN 1G3WH52H8YF111679

There are no recalls. Also, there has only ever been a cluster replaced under warranty. Nothing else on the record.

As it stands right now I've not received a satisfactory answer to my problem. The car still overheats, I haven't had time to check out the radiator yet, and won't be able to find out until after Monday.
You received a payment reminder e-mail. Just ignore those for now. Let me know what you find.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician