Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My rear view mirror temperature display and compass are not

working. I have made...
My rear view mirror temperature display and compass are not working. I have made sure to 'try' and turn it on - XM and OnStar appear to still be working - what's up!
2/10/2009
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Chevy?
-What model is your Chevy?
-How many miles are on your Chevy?
-What type of engine is in your Chevy?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Year/Make/Model - 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z-71 4WD

Mileage - +/- 60K

Engine - 5.3l

Tried - Checked fuse panel - looks good, tried XM & OnStar to see if they were still working, besides that, nothing yet - Wasn't sure where else to start.................

The red light beside the OnStar button (red emergency button) comes on - i think indicating that it at least has power, yet when i hit the power button i cannot get it to display. I have not tried to check the auto dimming or the indicator for the passenger air bag..............

Did you just have a windshield replaced?
yep, 3 weeks ago..........has been working until yesterday
I also checked the connection plug at the back of the mirror - removed and reinstalled.
OK, check the wiring at the very top of the wires as they go into the roof panel. Often the removal tools for the windshield cut the wires.

I just pulled the wires/harness and front portion of the headliner - wires look intact/no breaks in the insulation or apparent cuts.

Not sure if it matters - I went to a brush car wash yesterday and noticed that it wasn't working after leaving the wash...............

Also - both antenna's on the roof (XM and OnStar) appear to be firmly seated - don't think they leaked, but not sure.

Is the airbag 15 amp fuse in the underhood fuse block good?
No - it was cooked. I put in a new one, started the truck - still no life in the mirror. Checked the fuse again and it was cooked too.
Ok, take the connector off the back of the mirror and try a new fuse. Let me know what happens. We need to eliminate all the components so you will want to have a few fuses to check with. Do not use a different rating of fuse.
I'mout of 15amp'ers - i'll have to run and get some, will try it as soon as I get back and let you know....10 min+/-. A lot of work for $9, eh?? Thanks for your help!
ok - pulled the mirror plug (back of mirror), replaced fuse and started truck - cooked immediately.
Is the air bag light on in the dash? Does your Tahoe have a sunroof?

No sunroof, air bag light is on.

Ok, at the junction block at your drivers side foot area, remove the cover, and disconnect the center left connector. It is for the air bag system and will eliminate that side of the branch. It is a square 12 slot white connector. Install a new fuse and turn the key on. Let me know.

Done. still blew the fuse.

Ok, plug that one back in and take the right center connector, 12 pin and brown and repeat.
Done - fuse did not blow this time.
OK, that is the line that leads up to the mirror. There is a single Philips screw at the front of the roof console. Take it out, and the back has 2 clips. Pull down gently and then unhook the electrical. Remove the connector for the mirror and pull the harness back into the opening and inspect closer. I still suspect the wiring there still. This way it will give you a better view.
OK - just pulled the top center console down, detached the plug from the rear of the mirror and pulled the harness back thru - I seriously cannot find where the wires could be compromised. I guess it's to the shop???
I don't want to tell you to go to a shop. We know that there is a short in the wire that goes from the brown plug to the mirror. Start by following the wires from the junction block up. Remove the left IP cover at the fuse block, and the A pillar trim. Pull the top edge toward you and work it out. Disconnect the speaker. Follow the harness in there as well. The harness runs up the drivers A pillar. This could still be from the window replacement. Have a look and see. Let me know.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician