Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

99 chevy cavalier wont turn over, good batt. pwr starter is

Customer Question
good, transmission limiter seems to...
99 chevy cavalier wont turn over, good batt. pwr starter is good, transmission limiter seems to engage please halp
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/24/2009
Chevy Mechanic: Travis, Chevy Technician replied 8 years ago
Travis
Travis, Chevy Technician

Thanks for the question.

So when you turn the key, the starter does nothing at all, no noise or anything?

Or does it turn over and just not fire?

Also, please tell me what engine you have.

Wont turn at all. Not a click but a faint humm, security light is on.

Thanks,

The security lamp being on may be an issue later. The security on this car disables the fuel injectors and not the starter.

Ok, 2 things you will need to check....

1. You need to check the battery voltage while trying to start the car. Put a voltmeter on both battery terminals, then try to start the car, depending on what the meter drops to, there may be an amperage issue with the battery even if it shows 12 volts normally.

2. Use a testlight. Ground the testlight and touch the tip of it to the purple wire on the start while trying to start the car. The light should come on when you turn the key to start.

Also, something to note..

There is a recall on your car for the ignition switch causing issues with starting and/or fires. Has this recall been done. You can tell if it has by looking at the core support near the middle of the radiator. There will be a relay hanging there, with a wire running down to the starter.

Here is the location of the area the relay should be in...

graphic

Still not working! When i manually jump the solenoid the car turns over fine but will not run. Yes the keys is on while I am trying this. I have noticed the theft system light does not go out. I am at a loss hope you can help.

Ok, since you can jump the starter and it will turn, then that helps.

I have taken a look att he starter circuit. There is a 50 amp fuse under the hood. Check it. Its called IGN fuse.

If thats ok, it leaves one of 2 options available that could be the issue. (as far as the starter goes)

The neutral safety switch is no good, or the ignition switch is not good.

Take a look on top of the trans, where the shift cable attaches. Use a test light and probe the yellow wire. This wire comes straight from the ignition switch. When you try to start the car, the light should come on. If not, then the ignition switch is the problem. Which could also have something to do with the security system as well.

Also, has that recall been done that I mentioned before?

How do I know if was recalled I see the module what indicates replacement?

do you have a schematic? I am not seeing the yellow wire.

I have a schematic, but do to copyright of the program I am using, it will not let me save it. It ok if you cannot find the yellow one, you can test on the purple one too. Try this in Park as well as Neutral and this will help eliminate the safety switch. We are getting closer to determining the problem. Hang in there a little longer.

As far as the recall, if you see a relay near the area that was shown in the picture then the recall was done. This relay is added to the car during the recall.

The relay is there. Does the purple have the fusable link?
Yes, there is a fuseable like coming from the relay down to the starter. Probe the wire before the fuseable link and turn the key.
the puprle wire does not light up.
This leads me to believe that the ignition switch is the issue. Like I said, this will also have something to do with the security as well. The switch runs about $90 from any GM dealer.That would be the only logical explination for that wire not to be lite up. I double checked the security wiring and that only cuts off the injectors to prevent fuel from flowing, so the security would have no effect on the starter turning over.
will replacing the ignition switch release the security? as i mentioned while jumping the starter the car still wont run but will turn over.
I called the parts store they dont list an ignition switch they are trying to sell me a lock cylinder, is this right?

The security data comes from the lock cylinder which is attached to the switch. The lock cylinder and ignition switch both send a signal to the gauge cluster (this is where all the secruity data is processed. They do work together during the start process. So a failed ignition switch can cause that problem. Only thing, after you replace the ignition switch, you may have to perform a relearn, but you can do that at home and it only takes 10 minutes to do.

Actually, you can try that now just to see if the lamp will go off, but it might not due to the switch.

Attempt to start the car, even though it won't. Then release the key and leave it in the ON position for 10 minutes or until the secuirty lamp turns off. After 10 minutes, turn the car off for 5 seconds, then attempt to start again. Watch the light to see if it goes off. Like I said, it might not due to the switch, but it should after the repair.

No, the switch should be available seperatly unless they changed the design.

I have the GM part number, it is 26034119

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX give a whirl.

Please do, save this page and come back to it after you try it.

Even if I am not online, I will get an email saying you have added to this post sent to my iPhone.

OK, i have replaced the ignition switch but still to no avail. I have checked the purple wire, no light. I took the liberty of checking the relays on the fuse panel under the hood everything lights up normally with the key on, with the exception of the fuel pump it only lights up on one side. I'm wondering if this is all due to the security system? I tried the relearning thing nothing doing. We are getting a click from the fuse/relay under the hood when trying to start but that is it. Starter still jumps but the car wont run, just turns over.

I am sorry that the ignition switch did not work. Based on the testing that we did, it was pointing to that as the problem.

I know for a fact that the security would not keep the start from spinning.

I am going to look over all the wiring diagrams for this.

I think there is more than one issue going on here.

It worked fine we parked it. It started slow once then nothing. I did replace the starter but nada. I build race cars and this electrical stuff is wairing me out! Can I bypass the security? The starter to where when I turn the key on I can use a toggle to start the engine?

Ok, we are going to work on one thing at a time right now. We WILL get your car running.

The relay that I sent you a picture of earlier, that is mounted above the radiator. It should have a black wire coming off going to a ground bolt near-by, then another wire going to the battery or a positive battery source, a purple wire coming from the car's wiring and another wire running down to the starter. The purple wire coming from the car to the relay will be butt connected to another wire. Test that wire with a test light while trying to start it.

Bypassing the secuirty will not work, since the secruity goes into the PCM and the PCM kills the injectors.

no light there either

Ok, that wire comes from the trans range switch. If that is not coming on there there is an issue at that switch. After looking at the diagram for the range switch, it also controls the fuel pump relay. If the switch or connector is bad, then it will cause your problem with no fuel pump coming on and no starter. Unplug the range switch and check all the terminals, make sure they are clean and tight. The range switch is what the shift cable attaches to on top of the trans.

I think we are getting somewhere now.

terminals look good and are clean

Ok, there should be a blk/wht wire on that switch. Jump that wire to 12-volts and the fuel pump should come on. If it does, jump the starter to see if the car will start then.
Bull went to parts store for fuses, we blew a fuse trying to jump that last go around, he would like to know, if we bought a coder would that help in our attempt to diagnose this mystery???

If he wanted to buy a scan tool, then that would be fine. It could help with this problem and problems on other cars. The tool will actually pay for itself in the long run.

Ok jumped from the battery to the Black and White wire.
The only thing that happened was I melted the jumper got really hot really fast!
Ok, well it does not look like I am being much help to you. I think I will bow out and see if someone else can do a better job then me. I will repost your question. Sorry I could not be more help.

I ran the coder no codes came up.

That wire should have been grounded. I looked at the wiring incorrectly.
so whats next?
Thanks for your assistance Travis. Does this mean I have to start over or where does it go from here?
With the car on, jump negative to the blk/wht wire is what I meant to say. Try that and let me know.
Nevermind, that won't do it either. So don't try that. I'll get someone else to help you.
Travis
Travis
Travis, Chevy Technician