Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

proceedure for removing shocks on 2005 chevy equinox

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
1/18/2009
Chevy Mechanic: Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH replied 9 years ago
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Are you just removing the shocks and not the struts in the front? I just want to make sure I am getting you the info you really need. Thanks!

the weather here droped to minus 10 degrees. My wife hit a large bump of snow at the entrence to the driveway. the front of the car will now bounce up and down every time you hit a small bump. it is a all wheel drive 2005 chevy equinox. the car is now up on a jack with all weight off. The shock has oil all around the outside, I asume it has ruptured its seal, probobly due in some part to the excessive cold weather. The top nut for the shock has been removed and it droped about 1/4 inch. I will replace it as a strutt unit. And will replace both the left and right side.

Monroe Sensa- trac strut part number 72209 or other if you recomend.

Ok you are going to need a spring compressor for sure. Here is how to remove the complete unit.

• Raise and support the vehicle.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Remove the strut assembly to body fasteners.
  • Remove the wheel and tire.
    Object Number: 932918  Size: SH

• Remove the brake hose bracket from the strut assembly.
    Object Number: 933116  Size: SH

• Loosen, do not remove the strut to knuckle bolts and nuts.
    Object Number: 929862  Size: SH

• Disconnect the stabilizer link from the strut assembly.
    Object Number: 929934  Size: SH

• Remove the strut to knuckle bolts and nuts. Discard the bolts and nuts.
  • Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.
    Object Number: 932520  Size: SH

• Install the strut assembly in the J 45400 using the following procedure.
    1.1. Adjust the lower legs of the J 45400 to the lowest possible coil of the spring.
    1.2. Adjust the upper legs of the J 45400 to the highest possible coil of the spring.
    1.3. Inspect the strut assembly to insure hooks on the strut compress legs are properly installed on the spring coils.
    1.4. Verify the strut assembly is parallel with the J 45400 .
  • Compress the spring enough to unload the upper strut mount.
    Object Number: 932545  Size: SH

Notice: Do not allow the absorber rod to rotate during disassembly/reassembly. Use hand tools to keep the absorber rod from rotating. If air tools are used, and the rod is allowed to rotate, damage to the absorber may occur.

• Use the J 42991 or equivalent hand tools to remove the strut shaft nut.
    Object Number: 932524  Size: SH

Important: Leave the spring in the spring compressor.

• Lower the strut from the spring assembly.
    Object Number: 930279  Size: SH

Notice: Do not handle the top mount assembly by the plastic portion. Handle the top mount assembly by the metal portion when removing/installing the top mount from/to the strut assembly. Holding the top mount assembly by the plastic portion may loosen the snap fit of the bearing components and cause the bearing to fall apart.

• Remove the upper mount assembly, inspect for damage and deterioration. Replace as necessary.
  • Remove the strut dust shield and inspect for damage and deterioration. Replace as necessary.
  • Remove the hollow bumper from the strut shaft and inspect for damage and deterioration. Replace as necessary.
  • Inspect the spring for damage. Replace as necessary.
  • Carhelp4u
    Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH

how many hours labor would I be charged to have this repaired at a shop? how much will I save by doing myself

your procedure was very good thank you I will accept your answer and thanks for the help.

Replacing both sides would take 1.4 hours. I would figure that would be about $140.00 depending on your local hourly rate.
    Carhelp4u
    Carhelp4u
    Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH