Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How to replace upper control arm bushings on my Chevrolet?

How do I replace the...

How do I replace the upper control arm bushing on a 94 Chevy S10 blazer?

1/14/2009
Carfix4you
Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician

It would help us to know:
4x4?
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

The blazer is a 4x2.

At any time you have any questions, need wiring diagrams, images, or service information, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to help you solve your vehicles problem. See Figures 1, 2 and 3

The following procedure requires the use of a ball joint separator tool such as J-23742 or equivalent.

1. Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely by placing jackstands securely under the lower control arms. Because the vehicle's weight is used to relieve spring tension on the upper control arm, the floor stands must be positioned between the spring seats and the lower control arm ball joints for maximum leverage.
CAUTION
With components unbolted, the jackstand is holding the lower control arm in place against the coil spring. Make sure the jackstand is firmly positioned and cannot move, or personal injury could result.
  1. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  2. If equipped, remove the ABS wire and brake hose bracket(s) from the upper control arm.
  3. Remove the brake caliper and support it from the vehicle using a coat hanger or wire. Make sure the brake line is not stretched or damaged and that the caliper's weight is not supported by the line.
  4. Remove the cotter pin and retaining nut from the upper ball joint.
  5. Position J-23742 or an equivalent ball joint separator tool between upper joint stud and the lower joint/control arm. Use the tool to separate the upper ball joint from the steering knuckle. Pull the steering knuckle free of the ball joint after removal.
Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Upper control arm mounting-2WD vehicles
Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Exploded view of the upper control arm and bushing components

After separating the steering knuckle from the upper ball joint, be sure to support the steering knuckle/hub assembly to prevent damaging the brake hose.

Before and during removal of the control arm-to-frame nuts and bolts, note the location of any shims.

1. Unfasten the upper control arm-to-frame nuts and bolts, then lift and remove the upper control arm from the vehicle.
  2. Clean and inspect the steering knuckle hole. Replace the steering knuckle if any out of roundness is noted.
  3. If replacement is necessary, mount the control arm in a vise, then remove the pivot shaft nuts and washers. Use a control arm bushing fixture (C-clamp like tool) along with a slotted washer and a piece of pipe (slightly larger than the bushing) to remove the old bushings.

To install

1. If removed, position the pivot shaft to the control arm and install the bushing using the fixture tool, washer and a length of pipe with the same outer diameter as the bushing.
  2. Tighten the tool until the bushing is positioned on the shaft as shown in the illustration. Loosely install the bushing retaining nuts and washers. Tighten the bushing nuts to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm).
Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Upper control arm bushing installation-2WD vehicles
  1. Loosely install the control arm to the frame using the bolts and nuts. Position the shims as noted during removal, then tighten the retainers to 67 ft. lbs. (90 Nm) on 1994-95 models and 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm) on 1996-99 models.

On most vehicles, the left upper control arm shaft must have the depression facing inboard.

1. Remove the support from the steering knuckle, then install the ball joint to the knuckle. Make sure the joint is seated, then install the stud nut. Install a new cotter pin.

When installing the cotter pin, never loosen the castle nut to expose the cotter pin hole.

1. Reposition and secure the brake caliper.
  2. If equipped, attach the ABS wire and brake hose bracket(s) from the upper control arm.
  3. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  4. Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
  5. Check and adjust the front end alignment, as necessary
Carfix4you
Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician
Carfix4you
Carfix4you
Carfix4you, ASE Certified Technician