Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

99 Tahoe 4x4 problem

I have a 99 Tahoe...
I have a 99 Tahoe, and the service 4x4 light is on. None of the lights are lit on the push button panel to engage the 4x4. Push button switch is good(lights up when I start the truck), and the front axel actuator is also good. What could the service 4x4 light be.   Do I have to go to a shop to have the computer read, because I hooked up my buddys universal diagnostic scanner and no codes came up. Just wondering what it could be?
   Thanks
     Brian
1/3/2009
frank
frank, Chevrolet Technician
Your buddies universal code reader will not read the transfer case moduel.The biggest problems are the dash mounted switches-the sensor in side the encoder or the encoder.Pull the tranfer case fuse under the hood for 2 minutes and see if it starts working tempoarily-and its going to either have to go to a shop or you need to get a different scanner.

Hi, and thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the fuse for awhile and when I plugged it back in I now have the lights on the switch, (showing its in 2wd) but when I go to put in 4x4 the 4x4 light just blinks for a couple of seconds and goes back to 2wd. If I do go to a shop, do most of them have diff scanners or do I have to go to a dealership(rather not).

Thanks

Brian

You dont have to go to a dealer ship- just call to make sure that they can-most better shops can do it,

Hi, last thing!! From your experience, do you think that it could be the transfer case motor? and if so is it ease to pull out and test, like the front actuator, or are there a bunch of sensors that it could be?

Thanks

Brian

It could be the sensor inside the encoder and I can tell you how to replace that if your throwing a c0327.
frank
frank, Chevrolet Technician

Sorry, I forgort to leave you feedback, iis there a way to do so? (or should I just add a bonus)

Again I am sorry,

Brian

Thats a option-dont worry about.

Hi again, My truck has codes c0308 A/B circuit low, and c323 T-Case lock Circuit low, would that be the transfer case module acting up, or the transfer case motor. When I try to engage into 4x4 I can hear the case motor click(but not engage) Clicks when I push the 4x4 switch(which blinks for about 2-3 seconds and goes back to 2wl)

Thanks,

Brian

Look at the wiring to make sure it has not droped onto the front prop shaft-then you need to replace the encoder asemby for $700-the front drive shaft has to come out in order to change it.
Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it !!
Your welcome- I just look and that part is avaible NON OEM for $300
frank
frank, Chevrolet Technician

Just wanted to say thanks again, got the part today (like you said around $300), and installed it. Everything works! This was my first time on this site and will definitely do it again when I need help.

Thanks

Brian

your welcome
frank
frank
frank, Chevrolet Technician