Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

2005 Chevy: radio stopped working..I checked the fuse, its not blown

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox and today the radio stopped working. Actually it turns on, but the buttons don't work, the volume won't work, the tuner won't respond, etc. I checked the fuse, it's not blown.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
What does the display show when the radio comes on? Is there any noise coming from the speakers such as when the door is open with the key in the ignition or music itself?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THE DISPLAY JUST SHOWS THE STATION THAT ITS STUCK ON. There is no sound coming from the radio at all.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Ok and you are not able to change the radio station or make any adjustments at all?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No not at all.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Ok this to me sounds like the radio is shot for sure. I see a gm bulletin regarding a problem like you are stating. This bulletin refers to a problem with an inoperative radio working after removing and reinstalling the fuse labeled IP BEC. If this is found, the radio is to be replaced as there is an internal problem with the radio that has been fixed. This bulletin regards XXXXX XXXXX models with a UC6 option code. So what I would advise to you would be to remove and reinstall this fuse. If the radio begins to operate as normal, then you will likely have this problem over again and will need to do that some once again. If you remove and reinstall the fuse and there is no difference, I would recommend checking this radio for any trouble codes. This requires a pretty advanced scan tool. With or without the codes you will likely be needing a new radio. If this was a security related problem you would not see the radio station in the display. I would recommend contacting your local gm dealer as they can offer you an exchange radio for a fraction of the price of a new unit. Feel free to contact me with any questions or if you would prefer a second opinion. Good luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
where is the IP BEC FUSE LOCATED
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
On the passenger side of the dash, there should be an access door close to where the passengers left foot would go. This would be an access to this fuse panel. Let me know if you have further troubles. Good luck!