msarles1
msarles1, Chevy Technician
Experience:  20 Years of GM experience, Service Manager, Parts Manager, GM Master Tech, ASE Master Tech
14413541

1999 Suburban: Temperature gauge..overheating..The heat stops working

My 1999 Suburban Temperature gauge fluctuates wildly between the normal temp and check gauges but is not overheating or loosing water. The heat stops working when this happens. It shoots up temporarily and then goes back down to normal and heat returns.
disconnect the temp sender and check for corrosion, recheck all ground points.

Steve
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Looks good...except I am not sure where all the ground points are. I checked both senders and they seem to be fine. The gauge shoots up all the way and then returns to normal and the heat works again.
The heat on the Ac inside the vehicle?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes...When the gauge starts to shoot up, the heater starts blowing cold air...When the gauge goes back down, the heater blows warm again.
You have a malfunctioning thermostat most likely.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
but the car never gets hot or overheats? also, it just shoots up for a few seconds and then goes back down? still the thermostat?
sounds like a air pocket in the upper cooling ports, if you are sure of no leaks externally, check internally, check under oil cap, dipstick, if ok system needs bleed.
msarles1, Chevy Technician
Experience: 20 Years of GM experience, Service Manager, Parts Manager, GM Master Tech, ASE Master Tech
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank You