Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How to replace ignition lock cylinder 0n a 2003 gmc yukon xl

Customer Question
how to replace ignition lock cylinder 0n a 2003 gmc yukon xl
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH replied 8 years ago
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
At this point have you removed any items? Does the ignition cylinder turn at this point?
yes but get stuck and its getting ready to go
waiting for answer from someone

Ok doing this procedure correctly will require removal of the steering wheel air bag and air bag module. This can be done without removal of all of this, but you will find it much harder to properly do as you will be basically be working in the dark under the upper steering column trim. If you decide you would rather remove the steering wheel and the air bag, you will need a steering wheel puller. Here is how this procedure is to be done.

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicles wheels are pointing straight ahead.
  2. Place the ignition in the OFF position.

Important: The SDM may have more than one fused power input. To ensure there is no unwanted SIR deployment, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs, remove all fuses supplying power to the SDM. With all SDM fuses removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, the AIR BAG warning indicator illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate a SIR system malfunction.

3. Locate and remove the fuse labeled SIR in the under hood electrical center.
  4. Wait 1 minute before proceeding.
  5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to unlock the steering wheel.
  6. Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees so the side of the SIR module is at the 12 o'clock position in order to gain access to the access holes behind the steering wheel.
    Object Number: 245788  Size: SH

7. Insert a flat-bladed tool into each access hole and push the leaf spring in order to release the notched pin that retains the inflator module.
    Object Number: 288763  Size: SH

8. Turn the steering wheel 180 degrees in order to gain access to the remaining access holes.
  9. Insert a flat-bladed tool into the remaining access holes and push the leaf spring to release the notched pin that retains the inflator module.
    Object Number: 245799  Size: SH

10. Tilt the top of the inflator module rearward in order to gain access to the SIR wiring.
  11. Disconnect the SIR lead wire from the clip on the inflator module.
  12. Disconnect the SIR lead wire from the clip on the steering wheel.
    Object Number: 245795  Size: SH

13. Disconnect the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer.
  14. Disconnect the electrical connector.
  15. Remove the inflator module from the vehicle.
  16. Make an alignment mark in order to note the relationship of the steering wheel to the steering shaft.
  17. Remove the steering wheel nut.
    Object Number: 649307  Size: SH

18. Remove the steering wheel using.
    Object Number: 692091  Size: SH

19. If tilt column, remove the tilt lever from the lower trim cover.
  20. Important: You must check for 2 pan head tapping screws (1,2) in the lower trim cover before removal.

21. If necessary, remove the 2 pan head tapping screws (1,2) from the lower trim cover (3). Remove the lower trim cover (3).

If screws are not present in the lower trim cover, proceed to the next step.

Object Number: 723623  Size: SH

22. Gently unsnap the lower trim cover from the upper trim cover.
    Object Number: 692093  Size: SH

Important: You must check for 1 TORX® head screw (1) in the upper trim cover (2) before removal.

23. If necessary, remove 1 TORX® head screw (1) from the upper trim cover (2).

If a screw is not present, remove the upper trim cover (2).

24. With the key installed, turn the key to the RUN position.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

25. Install an allen wrench into the hole on top of the lock cylinder housing.

Push down on the allen wrench to release the tab on the lock cylinder inside the lock cylinder housing.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

26. Slide the lock cylinder out of the lock cylinder housing.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

27. Install the key into the lock cylinder.

Important: The gears between the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing must be in the correct position. Failure to do so will cause a misalignment of the gears in the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing, which may result in a NO START or BATTERY DRAIN.

28. Use a screwdriver to rotate the lock cylinder housing gear clockwise to the start position - allowing it to spring return into the RUN position.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

29. Align the lock cylinder and install into the lock cylinder housing.
  30. Install the steering column trim covers.
  31. Install steering wheel and steering wheel air bag module.
  32. Install the hush and knee bolster.
  33. Enable the SIR system.
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH