Golden Wrench
Golden Wrench, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE 30 Years of fixing severly broken cars and light trucks.
13428174

I have a 2003 Chevy Suburban. The check engine light comes

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Chevy Suburban. The check engine light comes on and the truck has a rough idle when warming up on cold mornings. It has 130000km (80000 mile) on it. We experienced this last winter and now this fall. During the summer the check engine light did not come on. I had it in to my GM dealer and they said the fuel pump needed replacing. It was producing only 42 psi in stead of the recommended 57 psi. (Another mechanic gave me the same diagnosis last winter.) I purchased the pump and installed it myself today. The check engine light has remained on. Do I have to reset the computer? BTW the fuel filter has been replace about 1.5 months ago and this is a E85 vehicle (5.3 litre) but I have only run regular fuel.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Golden Wrench replied 8 years ago.
I'm GW. The engine lite can be reset with a code checker or scanner. Auto zone will do this for free.
Golden Wrench, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE 30 Years of fixing severly broken cars and light trucks.
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The check engine light can come on for many reasons. You need to have the vehicle hooked up to a scanner or code reader to pull the trouble codes out of the computer. It could be as simple as a loose gas cap or it could be a emission sennsor , this list goes on and on. Most auto zones or advanced auto parts stores will pull the code for free. If you get a code number we can narrow it down from there. You can buy a inexpensive code reader from harborfreight.com
View Full Image
OBD II CODE READER WITH CAN
Cen-Tech
94169-3VGA
$44.99

If you get the code i can help you diagnose it. It most likely has furthher problems.

HiCustomer I aologize for John's post. I;m sure that I have answered your question correctly. Let me know if the lite stays off after the reset. GW