Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2005 Chevy: the AC is blowing, just not blowing cold..... what

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Chevy...
I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox and the AC is blowing, just not blowing cold..... what do I need to do?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
11/13/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Steve, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Technician
LOL

Could you be more specific please?

Steve
Car recently had a new battery put in it. The ac is always ON, its just not cold
AC always worked good up till now. Car has 65,000 miles, does something need to be replaced or recharged or is it the result of the battery dying
Ok there are several differant reasons why this could happen.

Mecanical
1 disengaged AC pump
2 Blend door malfunction

Electrical
1faulty signal to system
2 short or open in system

First check the systems static charge with a guage and we will move on from there.

Steve
Are any of these things I can fix?
How handy are you? do you have a test light? Can you get your hands on an AC guage for R-134 systems?
Not at all. Is this a simple repair? What does it cost to get fixed?
Until we know wich mechanisem failed there can be no answer to how simple the repair is. The problem needs to be diagnosed. This is what i will walk you through if you choose to do so. Otherwise I would suggest you take the vehicle in.

Steve
I don't have those tools, can you still walk me through some kind of check ?
Not safely, One thing you can check is to see if the compressor is engaging. Do you know how to find this? Have you ever seen the compressor before? If so turn on the air conditioning full blast and look at the compressor pulley to see if it clicks on an off. In the on posistion the center of the hub will spin with the outside of the hub. If it is disengaged the center will remain still while the pulley freewheels.

Steve
I don't know how to do any of this.........
Then I can walkk you through it or you can take it in. I would be happy to assist you in any way that I can.

Steve
I really can't afford to take it in, so I'd like to do it myself
Chevy Mechanic: Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED replied 9 years ago
Triston
Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED

if you don't mind i will try to assist you. if you are mechanically inclined just a little i could help you save a few bucks, if not i'll tell you if this happened right after the battery replacement then the temperature blend doors may need to be re calibrated ($100)

if the a/c light thats one the button flashes then you more than likely is low on freon, to have the system checked ($100 and recharged excluding freon). good luck. i hope i helped and please accept my answer. thanks T-MAN

And all these figures are at a Chevy dealer? No flashing light, and it did happen after the battery change. How complicated is it to recalibrate the blend doors?
Chevy Mechanic: Mike, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Mike, ASE Certified Technician

HelloCustomer my name is Mike.

There is a possibility that a recalibrate with specialized equipment is needed but there is a simple proceedure you can try before going the pay route.

When battery power is removed from the controller, the actuator positions need a basic relearn. Use the following steps to perform the calibration update:

1. Ignition in ON position or engine running.
  2. Simultaneously press the A/C and recirculation buttons on control head 3 times in less than 2 seconds.
  3. The Mode setting lights will flash during calibration and will quit flashing once calibration is completed.
  4. This calibration process can take up to 30 seconds.

Good luck, if this does not work then the previous advice you were given would be the proper route.

Turn the AC on and run the engine. Look at the AC compressor pulley and see if the inner part is turning on and off (spinning and then stopping. The AC compressor is on the front of the engine being driven by a belt. It loks like a cylinder with two tubes connected to hoses coming off of it.

Is the vehicle equipped with an automatic or manual AC system?

Steve
So I push the buttons on the AC unit? I don't know the difference between a manual and an automatic unit. Like I said this just happened after AAA replaced the battery, I'm sure they didn't know what they were doing.
On the auto unit you will just dial in your temp.

Steve
I don't have an ac like that, mines the old fashioned kind
OK

Did you try the procedures listed above?

Steve
I tried the buttons, but it didn't work. It made it a little colder but not cold
Have the system serviced at an AC specialist or get a guage and refill canister of R134 at the auto parts store ($30). They can tell you what the static (not running) charge should be. Perhaps the system just needs a little boost .

Steve
Is it normal to need a refill on a 3 year old vehicle?
No, but if you dont take it in there can be do vaccume test. so we wont know if there is a leak.

Steve
The ac tries to reset but it still isnt blowing as cold as it did, It sounds like I need freon, right?
Maybe. The auto parts store could hook up a scanner and tell you if anything else might be wrong.

Steve
None of this is an acceptable answer, can we just cut the crap and tell me how to fix the AC? The reset is doing something but its still not cold air yet, does it take time to get cold? Or do I have to pay for freon?
You should check the static charge with a guage (wich can be aquired at any auto prts store) against the rating capacity on the AC sticker underr the hood. Add freon if needed.

Steve
Steve
Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Technician