Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

How do I change the rear turn signal in a 2005 Malibu Maxx

Customer Question

How do I change the rear turn signal in a 2005 Malibu Maxx?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.

Silly GM, in their haste to please only made a few different arrangements on the rear tail lamp assemblies and as you did not specify as to bulb or lamp assembly. I am sending the most popular as the lamp needs to come out to access the bulb anyway. If this is not correct, please update me. The more info the better. Such as sedan or extended sedan. This is for the standard sedan. Thanks

Tail Lamp Assembly and /or Backup, Sidemarker, Stop, Turn Signal Bulb Replacement (Sedan)

Removal Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Open the rear compartment.
  2. Remove the screws from the tail lamp.
  3. From the inside of the rear compartment, pull back the side trim panel. Remove the wing nut from the tail lamp.
  4. Pull the tail lamp rearward to disengage the tail lamp from the quarter panel.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

5. Disconnect the electrical connector from the tail lamp wiring harness.
  6. Remove the tail lamp, stoplamp, and backup lamp sockets by rotating the sockets counterclockwise.
  7. Remove the bulbs from the tail lamp, stop lamp, and/or backup lamp sockets.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Install the bulbs to the tail lamp, stop lamp, and/or backup lamp sockets.
  2. Install the tail lamp, stop lamp, and/or backup lamp sockets to the tail lamp. Rotate the sockets clockwise until fully seated.
  3. Connect the electrical connector to the tail lamp wiring harness.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Position the tail lamp to the quarter panel. Ensure that the 2 locking pins are seated.
  5. Install the tail lamp screws to the tail lamp.

Tighten
    Tighten the tail lamp screw to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

6. From the inside of the rear compartment, install the wing nut to the tail lamp.
  7. Install the trim panel.
  8. Close the rear compartment lid.