Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

Hoe do you adjust valves on 98 silverado 5.7 liter

Customer Question

hoe do you adjust valves on 98 silverado 5.7 liter
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 8 years ago.

Hello.

First, remove the valve covers.

graphic

• Turn the crankshaft clockwise until the alignment mark on the crankshaft balancer is aligned with the notch in the engine front cover tab.
  • Look at the number 1 cylinder valves as the crankshaft balancer alignment mark approaches the notch in the engine front cover tab. If a valve moves as the alignment mark moves into position, the engine is in the number 6 firing position. If this happens, turn the crankshaft clockwise one revolution in order to reach the number 1 cylinder firing position.
  •  

1. With the engine in the number 1 firing position, adjust the exhaust valves for cylinders number 1, 3, 4, and 8 and the intake valves for cylinders number 1, 2, 5, and 7.

Turn the valve rocker arm nut clockwise until the valve lash is felt in the valve pushrod.

Turn the valve rocker arm counterclockwise until all the valve lash is removed (zero valve lash).

Zero valve lash can be felt by moving the valve pushrod up and down between your thumb and forefinger until there is no more up and down movement of the valve push rod.

When all the valve lash is removed, then turn the rocker arm nut clockwise 1 additional turn (360 degrees).

• With the engine in the number 6 firing position, adjust the exhaust valves for cylinders number 2, 5, 6, and 7 and the intake valves for cylinders number 3, 4, 6, and 8.
  •  

Repeat adjustment same as for the other cylinders.

Reinstall the valve covers using new gaskets.

VALVE ADJUSTMENT

Valve lash... 0 plus one turn.

Hello.

I'm just checking in to see if my information was of any assistance.

If it was, please click the ACCEPT button. If not let me know what esle you need.

Thank you.

Happy motoring.