Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2006 GMC: Hot air from the passenger side and cold air on the drivers.

Customer Question
I have an 2006 GMC...
I have an 2006 GMC Sierra with the auto temp control, reading some of your other posts, I have the similar problem. Hot air from the passenger side and cold air on the drivers. The diagnosis was the temp door actuators are reading incorrectly and need to be replaced. Can they be reprogramed, and where abouts are they in the dash if I need to replace them?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
10/23/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Billy, Chevrolet tecnician replied 9 years ago
Billy
Billy, Chevrolet tecnician
HelloCustomerand welcome to just answer.

The temp door actuators are not programmable, but the new ones will have to be calibrated after replacement. I'm sending you the information necessary to calibrate the actuators. I will need to know which actuator you are about to replace (left or right side)
so that i can try to help you with the location.

When replacing the HVAC actuator it will be necessary to allow the HVAC control module to perform a calibration process. When installing the HVAC actuator be sure to perform one of the following:

Important: Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control module while the HVAC control module is self-calibrating. If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.

Preferred Method (w/ Scan Tool)

1. Clear all DTCs.
  2. Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.
  3. Install the HVAC actuator.
  4. Connect all previously disconnected components.
  5. Start the vehicle.
  6. With the scan tool, initiate the Motor Re-calibration feature of the Heating and Air Conditioning Special Functions menu.
  7. Verify that no DTCs have set as current DTCs.

Alternate Method (w/o Scan Tool)

1. Clear all DTCs.
  2. Place the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  3. Install the HVAC actuator.
  5. Remove the HVAC/ECAS fuse for a minimum of 10 seconds.
  6. Install the HVAC/ECAS fuse.
  7. Start the vehicle.
  8. Wait 40 seconds for the HVAC control module to self-calibrate.
  9. Verify that no DTCs have set as current DTCs.
Best regards,
Billy.

I have to replace both sides

Hello again.

ok...the left side is the easy one, and the procedure is as follows:
Temperature Valve Actuator Replacement - Left Side

Removal Procedure

Notice: In order to avoid actuator damage, DO NOT apply power to the actuator when it is not installed in the HVAC module.

1. Remove the center console, if equipped.
  2. Remove the instrument panel (I/P) insulator panel. (lower panel)

3. Object Number: 826793  Size: SH

4. Disconnect the electrical connector (1) from the left air temperature actuator (2).
  5. Remove the screws from the left air temperature actuator (2).
  6. Remove the left air temperature actuator (2) from the HVAC module assembly (3).

The right side is actually very time consuming and it is a lot more complicated.
You will have to remove the Instrument Panel Carrier (this is the whole dash, not the cluster) assembly.
The right side actuator is sitting on top of the heater box (HVAC module assembly)close to the center of the dash and just about everything has to be removed to get to it. Depending on the accessories on the vehicle and the available tools it is possible to remove the actuator through the air vent opening but you need very small hands, special tools and experience. The center console would still have to be removed.

Temperature Valve Actuator Replacement - Right Side
Removal Procedure

1. Remove the I/P carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement .

2. Object Number: 826718  Size: SH
  3. Disconnect the electrical connector (4) from the right air temperature actuator (3).
  4. Remove the screws from the right air temperature actuator (3).
  5. Remove the right air temperature actuator (3) from the HVAC module assembly (2).
If this answer helped you in any way than please click the Accept button. If you need more help, please ask.

Best regards,
Billy.
Billy
Billy, Chevrolet tecnician
Billy
Billy
Billy, Chevrolet tecnician