Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

how do i replace the thermostat on my 2002 chevy blazer

Customer Question
?...
how do i replace the thermostat on my 2002 chevy blazer ?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
10/8/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Auto Technician replied 9 years ago
Dan, Auto Technician
4.3L v-6 engine?
Air Cleaner Outlet Resonator Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 444792  Size: SH

1. Disconnect the breather tube from the air cleaner outlet duct.
    Object Number: 10940  Size: SH

2. Disconnect the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor harness connector.
    Object Number: 312278  Size: SH

3. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct retaining wingnut.
    Object Number: 424556  Size: SH

4. Separate the air cleaner outlet duct from the air cleaner by loosening the hose clamp after the mass air flow (MAF) sensor.
  5. Remove air cleaner outlet duct.

Installation Procedure

Notice:

Handle the MAF sensor carefully.
    Do not drop the MAF sensor in order to prevent damage to the MAF sensor.
    Do not damage the screen located on the air inlet end of the MAF.
    Do not touch the sensing elements.
    Do not allow solvents and lubricants to come in contact with the sensing elements.
    Use a small amount of a soap based solution in order to aid in the installation.

Object Number: 424556  Size: SH

1. Install air cleaner outlet duct to throttle body.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install air cleaner outlet duct to MAF sensor.

Tighten
    Tighten the hose clamp to 4 N·m (35 lb in).

Object Number: 10940  Size: SH

3. Connect the IAT sensor harness connector.
    Object Number: 312278  Size: SH

4. Install the air cleaner outlet duct retaining wingnut.

Tighten
    Tighten the wingnut to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

Object Number: 444792  Size: SH

5. Connect the breather tube to the air cleaner outlet duct.
  6. Engine Coolant Thermostat Replacement (4.3 L)

Removal Procedure

1. Partially drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
    2. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct. Air Cleaner Outlet Resonator Replacement in Engine Controls - 4.3 L.
      Object Number: 424533  Size: SH

3. Remove the throttle body bracket nuts and reposition the bracket.
      Object Number: 42901  Size: SH

4. Remove the water outlet housing mounting bolts.
      Object Number: 42895  Size: SH

5. Remove the water outlet housing from the lower intake manifold and set aside.
    6. Remove the gasket or O-ring.
      Object Number: 42903  Size: SH

7. Remove the thermostat.
    8. Clean all the sealing surfaces of the water outlet housing.
    9. Clean the sealing surface on the lower intake manifold.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 42903  Size: SH

Important: In order to prevent leakage, thoroughly clean all parts and sealing surfaces.

1. Install the thermostat.
      Object Number: 42895  Size: SH

2. Install a new gasket or O-ring.
    3. Install the water outlet housing to the lower intake manifold.
      Object Number: 42901  Size: SH

4. Install the water outlet housing mounting bolts.

Tighten
      Tighten water outlet housing mounting bolts to 19 N·m (14 lb ft).

Object Number: 424533  Size: SH

5. Install the throttle body bracket to the throttle body.
    6. Install the throttle body bracket nuts.

Tighten
      Tighten the throttle body bracket nuts to 10 N·m (89 in lb).

7. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
    8. Inspect for coollant leaks.
Dan, Auto Technician