Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2005 equinox lt with a creeking noise when turning

Customer Question
right and only right. The...
I have a 2005 equinox lt with a creeking noise when turning right and only right. The front struts have been changed due to the left front leaking and the left front strut bushing was dry and that was replaced. The noise seems to be coming from the left, center of the engine compartment.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
10/5/2008
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 9 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Welcome Copper. Here is some information that I believe will apply to your Equinox. Please review it and if you have any questions, please ask.

04-03-08-008B: Groan/Hiss/Grind Noise While Turning Steering Wheel at Low Speeds OR Popping Noise From Front Suspension While Driving Over Bumps (Replace Necessary Components) - (Nov 11, 2005)

Subject:Groan/Hiss/Grind Noise While Turning Steering Wheel at Low Speeds OR Popping Noise From Front Suspension While Driving Over Bumps (Replace Necessary Components)

Models:2005 Chevrolet Equinox
Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 56073267

This bulletin is being revised to update the Parts Information to correct the front suspension noise concerns. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-08-008A (Section 03 -- Suspension).

Condition

The purpose of this bulletin is to address various front suspension noises. Some customers may comment on a groan, hiss or grind type noise while turning the steering wheel at low speeds or when the vehicle is stopped. Or, some customers may comment on a popping noise from the front suspension while driving over bumps. The type of noise will determine the corrective action to be taken.

Procedure for Duplicating Customer Concern of "Noise While Turning at Low Speeds":

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Install Chassis Ears (J 39570) to the following locations on the vehicle (refer to diagram):
    1 -- Front Spring
    2 -- Wheel-Well
    3 -- Stabilizer Bar Link
  2. Drive the vehicle, simulating parking lot maneuvers/turns, to determine the source of the noise. If the noise is heard most predominantly through:
    the Front Spring , refer to the Strut Replacement in the "correction" section of this bulletin.
    the Wheel-Well , the noise is caused by a body creak and no repair is available at this time. A field product report should be submitted to document the concern.
    the Stabilizer Shaft Link , refer to the Stabilizer Shaft Link in the "correction" section of this bulletin. Note, to confirm replacing the stabilizer link will correct the customer's concern, disconnect the links to verify the noise is eliminated
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician