Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Truck Technician,24 Years GM Shop Foreman,Fully Trained GM Trucks Light and Heavy.
10688023

I have a 1993 silverado that has a noise..first started..15 seconds

Customer Question

i have a 1993 silverado that has a noise in the heater.When first started up it will click for about 15 seconds,will do the same after ignition is shut off.I would like to know the cause and parts needed to correct
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer when you start the truck up,and the heater clicks, does the fan run?What part of the dash does the click come from?Do all the speeds for the fan work ? Does it smell like anything burning? Does it sound like a switch clicking, or something spinning and hitting? These answers would help me try and diagnose your concern. Thank you,Gary.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Gary all heater functions seem to work correctly,sounds like a loud clicking,I wouldnt say a switch.It sounds more like metathanking l to metal,it seems to be from below dash.Hope this helps . thanking you Jerry
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Expert:  Gary replied 9 years ago.
It sounds like your blower motor itself is noisy, and probably in need of replacement. These can come from an aftermarket parts store.The run anywhere from $30 to $60. It mounts under the glove box, and if you take the bottom dash bolt out(directly under the dash on the r/h side)It is easier to replace the motor.Good luck...Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 9 years ago.
When i asked for your info, i accidentally pushed the answer button, rather than the info button.Sorry for any confusion.The answer is on the prior post.If you have any other questions,please ask. Thank you, gary
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
If it were the blower motor ,wouldnt it be continuous ,rather than 15 second interals when you start engine and shut off ignition?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 years ago.
It could be worn bushings,and making noise at low speeds. Try unplugging the blower motor , and start the engine to see if the noise goes away.Please let me know the resulrs.Thanks...Gary