Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Periodically, my 2002 Blazer wont start. It turns over, but

Customer Question
Periodically, my 2002 Blazer won't...
Periodically, my 2002 Blazer won't start. It turns over, but won't catch. Sometimes if I wait a while, the problem resolves itself. (Every time I've had it towed to my mechanic, by the time it gets there, the problem has resolved and my mechanic starts it up just fine.) This is NOT weather/temperature related! Someone told me there's a flaw in the model where the security system trips the computer and blocks the fuel pump from sending fuel to the engine. Supposedly, if you leave the key in the ON position for 10 mins, the computer resets and the problem goes away. Is this true? And can it be fixed if it is true?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/25/2008
Chevy Mechanic: docckingg, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
docckingg
docckingg, ASE Certified Technician

Many cars and trucks can have security problems but most will set a code when this happens. some of the comon problemns would be a bad ignition switch, this problem normally sets many codes. Bad fuel pumps are another comon fault, has anyone scan it for cosdes? and if so what codes are set?

When the mechanic gets the car, there is absolutely nothing obviously wrong with it. Starter, alternator, ignition switch, fuel pump are all fine. Battery was replaced a couple of months ago. I had a remote starter but had it removed because I thought it was a short of some kind. It's happened twice since I had the remote starter removed. The mechanics can't recreate the problem, so this is how short-lived the problem really is. It's just a total nuisance for me because it's unpredictable when it'll happen or how long I'll have to wait before it decides to start again! One time, my mechanic had it for 10 days (I had it towed there when it failed to start for me) and he worked on it every day and 1) found nothing wrong and 2) couldn't recreate the problem.
how often between events?
It happened in February, March, June, August, and two days ago. There is no pattern.
Thats going to be tough to find. To answer your question about the relearn proceedure. If the system looses its password XXXXX can relearn it by turning the key on and the engine off for ten minutes to relearn. sometimes you need to do this three times. Are you sure there were no codes stored?

My mechanic tells me this a.m. that it is the security system that's causing the problem. He is working on resetting the security system but isn't having any luck. I also looked up the TSBs for my car's yr/make/model but there isn't anything about this particular problem. Any idea how to reset or reprogram the security system of an '02 Blazer?

Since this has been a problem that comes and goes I dont think a relearn is a perminet fix. The system needs to be diagnoised as to why this keeps happening. Has he found any codes?

docckingg
docckingg
docckingg, ASE Certified Technician