Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I need to replace the ignition key cylinder in my 1977

Customer Question
corvette. What is the procedure...
I need to replace the ignition key cylinder in my 1977 corvette. What is the procedure? Can you help? Thanks
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/9/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Bob, Auto Tech replied 9 years ago
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech

Hello, these a little more difficult than most and will require some special tools to do. You will need a steering wheel puller, a lock plate depressor and a lock tool for the telescoping steering if it is equipped with a telescope type of wheel. You will need to remove the steering wheel, the lock plate and the turn signal switch to access the warning switch that makes the key buzzer work, then you can get to the screw that retains the lock cylinder in the column. I am sending you some information on both the standard column and on the telescope type. If you have questions, just ask. You should be able to rent the needed special tools from most parts stores. You may want to print this stuff out. Thanks

1968-76 Telescoping WheelSee Figures 5 through 15

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: Tilt and telescoping steering wheel mounting-1968-76 vehicles Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: Use a suitable tool to pry the horn cap off the steering wheel Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Unfasten the three retaining screws ... Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: ... then remove the upper horn contact Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: Unfasten the retaining screws ... Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 10: ... then remove the center star screw Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 11: Remove the steering column lock lever and the spacer (if used) Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 12: Use a suitable pair of pliers to remove the snapring Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 13: Hold the steering wheel still while loosening the nut Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 14: Remove the retaining nut ... Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 15: ... then use a suitable puller to remove the steering wheel from the column

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Remove the horn cap and upper horn contact.
  3. Remove the shim, star screw, lock lever, and spacer.

To remove the wheel for turn signal switch service, follow Steps 3-6 "Standard Wheel" procedure. Tighten the nut to 30 ft. lbs. On 1975-76 models, it is necessary to remove the snapring from the steering shaft first. Dont forget to install the snapring after tightening the nut.

1. Remove the six steering wheel retaining screws and remove the wheel.

To install:

1. Replace the steering wheel on the hub and install the six retaining screws.
  2. Position the spacer and lock lever on the steering wheel.
  3. Install the star screw through the lock lever, turn it into the shaft, and put it into lock position.
  4. Install the spacer to the steering wheel with three screws. Position the lock lever in "Lock."
  5. Attach the star screw with two screws and remove the three spacer retaining screws.
  6. Install the shims and the upper horn contact.
  7. Install the horn cap.

1977-79 Standard Wheel

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Pry off the horn button cap.
  3. Remove the snapring then the steering wheel nut.
  4. Install a wheel puller in the threaded holes provided. Butt the center bolt of the tool against the steering shaft and turn clockwise to remove the hub assembly.

To install:

1. When installing make sure the turn signal is in the neutral position, then install the hub on the steering shaft and secure it with the nut. Torque the nut to 30 ft. lbs.
  2. Install the snapring.
  3. Attach the steering wheel to the hub assembly with the attaching screws.
  4. Install the horn contact and attach with the three screws.
  5. Snap the horn button in place.
  6. Connect the battery ground cable.

1977-82 Tilt Telescoping WheelSee Figure 16

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 16: Exploded view of the tilt and telescoping steering wheel-1977-81 vehicles

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Pry off the horn button cap.
  3. Remove the three screws and remove the upper horn contact assembly.
  4. If used, remove the shim then remove the screw securing the center star screw. Remove the star screw and lever.
  5. Remove the snapring and nut from the shaft and remove the steering wheel assembly with a wheel puller.
  6. If it is necessary to disassemble the steering wheel, remove the three screws securing the steering wheel and separate; then remove the four screws securing the extension to the steering wheel then separate.

To install:

1. To assemble the steering wheel, position the extension to the steering wheel and install the attaching screws. Torque the screws to 20 inch lbs.
  2. Position the spring, eyelet and insulator to the lower contact assembly. Position the assembly to the steering wheel and install the three screws.
  3. Position the steering wheel assembly to the steering column and torque the nut to 30 ft. lbs.
  4. Install the snapring.
  5. Position the lever to the steering column and install the star screw. Install the screws. Remove the switch by pulling it.
  6. Position the upper contact assembly and shim if used and install the three retaining screws.
  7. Install the retainer and horn button cap.
  8. Connect the battery ground cable.

YOU DO NOT NEED THE TURN SIGNAL SWITCH ALL THE WAY OUT OF THE COLUMN, JUST LET IT HANG BY THE WIRES.

STANDARD WHEEL

1. Remove the steering wheel as previously outlined.
  2. On 1969-75 models loosen the three cover screws and lift the cover off the shaft. On 1976-79 models pry the lock plate cover off with a suitable prytool.
  3. Position the special lockplate compressing tool (J-23131 1969-70 or J-23653 1971-79) on the end of the steering shaft and compress the lockplate by turning the shaft nut clockwise. Pry the wire snapring out of the shaft groove.
  4. Remove the tool and lift the lockplate off the shaft.
  5. Slip the canceling cam, upper bearing pre-load spring, and thrust washer off the shaft.
  6. Remove the turn signal lever. Push the flasher knob in and unscrew it.
  7. Pull the switch connector out of the mast jacket and tape the upper part to facilitate switch removal. On tilt wheels, place the turn signal and shifter housing in Low position and remove the harness cover.
  8. Remove the three switch mounting screws. Remove the switch by pulling it straight up while guiding the wiring harness cover through the column.

To install:

1. Install the replacement switch by working the connector and cover down through the housing and under the bracket. On tilt models, the connector is worked down through the housing, under the bracket, and then the cover is installed on the harness.
  2. Install the switch mounting screws and the connector on the mast jacket bracket. Install the column-to-dash trim plate.
  3. Install the flasher knob and the turn signal lever.
  4. With the turn signal lever in neutral and the flasher knob out, slide the thrust washer, upper bearing pre-load spring, and canceling cam onto the shaft.
  5. Position the lockplate on the shaft and press it down until a new snapring can be inserted in the shaft groove.
  6. Install the cover and the steering wheel.

Tilt/Telescope 1969-82 Vehicles

WHEEL

1. Remove the steering wheel as previously outlined and press off the hub with a puller.
  2. Remove the steering column/dash trim cover.
  3. Remove the C-ring plastic retainer, if so equipped.
  4. Install the special lockplate compressing tool (J23131 1969-70; J23653 1971-81; J23063 1982) over the steering shaft. Position a 5/16 in. nut under each tool leg and reinstall the star screw to prevent the shaft from moving.
  5. Compress the lockplate by turning the shaft nut clockwise until the C-ring can be removed.
  6. Remove the tool and lift out the lockplate, horn contact carrier, and the upper bearing preload spring.

1969 Corvette assembly order is: horn control carrier, lockplate, and upper bearing preload spring.

1. Pull the switch connector out of the mast jacket and tape the upper part to facilitate switch removal.
  2. Remove the turn signal lever. Push the flasher in and unscrew it.
  3. Position the turn signal and shifter housing in Low position. Remove the switch by pulling it straight up while guiding the wiring harness out of the housing.

To install:

1. Install the replacement switch by working the harness connector down through the housing and under the mounting bracket.
  2. Install the harness cover and clip the connector to the mast jacket.
  3. Install the switch mounting screws, signal lever, and the flasher knob.
  4. With the turn signal lever in neutral and the flasher knob out, install the upper bearing pre-load spring, horn contact carrier, and lockplate onto the shaft. Horn contact carrier is last on 1969 models.
  5. Position the tool as in Step 4 and compress the plate far enough to allow the C-ring to be installed.
  6. Remove the tool. Install the plastic C-ring retainer.
  7. Install the column/dash trim cover. Install the steering wheel.

1969-78 Vehicles
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1 Removing the lock cylinder by depressing the spring latch Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2 Removing the lock cylinder by unscrewing the lock retaining screw

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the steering wheel and the directional signal switch. It is not necessary to pull the wire harness out of the column. See the applicable procedures above.
  2. Place the lock cylinder in Lock (up to 1970), or Run (1971-78).
  3. Insert a small prybar into the turn signal housing slot. Keeping the screwdriver to the right side of the slot, break the housing flash loose and depress the spring latch at the lower end of the lock cylinder. Remove the lock cylinder.

Considerable force may be necessary to break this casting flash, but be careful not to damage any other parts. When ordering a new lock cylinder, specify a cylinder assembly. This will save assembling the cylinder washer, sleeve, and adaptor.

1. To install, hold the lock cylinder sleeve and rotate the knob clockwise against the stop. Insert the cylinder into the housing, aligning the key and keyway. On 1977-78 vehicles, push the cylinder into abutment of cylinder and sector. Rotate the cylinder counterclockwise, maintaining a light pressure until the drive section of the cylinder mates with the sector. Push in until the snapring pops into the grooves. Remove the drill. Check the operation of the cylinder. Install the direction signal switch and steering wheel.
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech

the illustrations that you sent are not legible. what publication did they come from??

They are from an Auto Zone book that I have and one is from a GM manual. I will try to enlarge them and see if it helps. These are from a couple years newer, but should have what you need, if I can get them to post. Thanks

graphic

graphic

Your switch, may not have a screw in it, it may have the push in detent like in the other picture.

Looks like that is about all that I have, have you tried enlargeing them on a printer?

graphic

Bob
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech