Jared
Jared, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  UNOH High Performance Auto grad, 7 years GM experience, Performance modifications, F-body/Vette
11493530

I am trying to replace the water pump on my 2005 Trailblazer

I am trying to replace the water pump on my 2005 Trailblazer and need some help removing the fan shroud, and removing the fan blades from the clutch? Is there a special tool that is required?

Cooling Fan and Shroud Replacement

• Tools Required
  • J 46406 Fan Clutch Remover and Installer

Removal Procedure

1. Drain the cooling system.
  2. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
  3. Remove the air resonator assembly.
  4. Remove the inlet radiator hose.

Fan Removal

1. Remove the transmission oil cooler lines from the fan shroud.
  2. Disconnect the fan clutch electrical connector.
  3. Using J 46406 remove the fan clutch from the water pump.
  4. Remove the mounting bolts from the upper fan shroud.
  5. Lift and push the fan shroud inward to clear the filler neck on the radiator
  6. Remove the fan and the shroud.

Here is a website which has the directions written differently, but still correctly.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Envoy-Trailblazer-Electonic-Fan-Clutch-Replacement-Help_W0QQugidZ10000000003639613

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have received other instruction stating to use the J 41240. Will it matter which one is used?

J41240 has been updated and now is J46406. Both will work, but J46406 is a little longer making more torque when removing the nut.

Also, many times autoparts stores will have free rental programs (ie Autozone). I would assume they would have the fan clutch removal tools, but maybe under their own part number.

Short of finding the right tool for the job, it is sometimes possible to take an airhammer with punch end and hammer on the side of the nut breaking it free. This DOES damage the nut and occassionly to the point of not being able to be reused, but works when in a pinch.

-Jared