Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

how to set the timing in a 2.4L twin cam

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/1/2008
Chevy Mechanic: RussMasterTech, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
RussMasterTech
RussMasterTech, ASE Certified Technician

The keyway on the crank lines up with the mark on the chain housing when the timing chain cover is off. The holes in the cam gears will be pointing down to the 6 o'clock position and you can temporarily install a 5/16 bolt in each hole until if fits into the hole in the chain housing. Make sure there is no slack in the chain between the two cam gears. If there is slack with the guide installed, turn the back gear forward and the front gear rearward until you remove the slack. There should be no slack in the chain on the right side between the crank and the intake cam gear. The crank mark may not line up exactly when it is timed correctly. It may be just to the right of the mark when all the slack is removed. Once you're sure there's no slack in the chain as described above, install the remaining guides if they are not already installed and then install the tensioner and shoe. Unload the tensioner by pushing it in to release it. It should then release and take out all the slack on the left side of the chain. Don't forget to remove the bolts that are holding the cam gears still.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

If this "Answer" was helpful, please make sure to click the "Accept" button so I may receive credit for assisting you. Positive feedback would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Russ

RussMasterTech
RussMasterTech