Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How do I replace the fan clutch on my 2002 trailblazer. will

Customer Question
How do I replace...
How do I replace the fan clutch on my 2002 trailblazer. will the radiator need to be removed. I can't get the clutch to unthread from the water pump.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/31/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician replied 9 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician

Here is the procedure. There is a special tool used to hold the fan pulley. If you do not have the tool, leave the drive belt in place, use a wrench on the fan clutch and strike the wrench with a hammer to break the fan clutch free.

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the hood latch support. Object Number: 754345  Size: SH

2. Disconnect the transmission cooler lines at the engine and release the lines from the fan shroud.
  3. Remove the 2 upper bolts on the fan shroud.
  4. Drain the cooling system. .
  5. Reposition the upper inlet radiator hose clamp .
  6. Remove the upper inlet radiator hose from the radiator.
  7. Remove the electrical connector from the shroud.
  8. Position the water pump so the bolts are aligned in the vertical.
    Object Number: 750177  Size: SH

9. Remove the fan hub nut from the water pump shaft in a counterclockwise rotation. Using the J 46406 , in order to secure the water pump pulley, loosen the cooling fan hub nut from the water pump shaft.
    Object Number: 753683  Size: SH

10. Unclip the fan shroud from the radiator at the side panels (1).
  11. Tilt the radiator and the condenser forward.
  12. Lift the fan and the shroud up and out towards the engine to release the fan from the radiator to clear the radiator inlet.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician