Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My 2004 GMC Envoy gear shift is stuck in park, but the dash

Customer Question
board says it is stuck...
My 2004 GMC Envoy gear shift is stuck in park, but the dash board says it is stuck in drive. The car will not start. Please help. Thanks.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/28/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Ms. Wrench, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
Ms. Wrench
Ms. Wrench, ASE Certified Technician

This is Ms Wrench and I can help you with your 2004 GMC Envoy gear shifter problem. I need to ask you one thing though, does the key go in and out of the ignition and does it turn normally? If not please explain in as much detail as possible what it does.

This will help me to answer you accurately.

Thanks for using JA

Ms Wrench

The key goes in and out of the ignition and turns all the way. The vehicle is parked on level ground and I don't think it's torque locked. Also the battery died about half an hour after the car got stuck in park.

Was the key off and out of the truck when the battery died? Have you got the battery charged back up?

Ms Wrench

The key was in the ignition and we were using Onstar when the battery died. We can jump start the car if necessary.

On your Envoy, there are two different shift lock safety mechanisms. One of them prevents the gear shift from being taken out of park when the engine is running without the brake pedal being depressed. The other prevents the transmission from being taken out of park when the engine is not running.

However, the fact that the gear selector shows the wrong position is another problem. Can you tell me what happened, did you pull in the driveway, put it in park, but the indicator stayed in D then it wouldnt restart-tell me how it happened so I know what information to give you exactly.

Thanks again,

Ms Wrench

I pulled in the driveway, came to a complete stop, and then tried to put the vehicle in reverse. The shifter moved all the way forward to the park position but the vehicle is still in drive. Now the shifter is stuck in park but the vehicle can not be started. The vehicle is on level ground and I can push it several feet back. The parking brake is the only thing keeping it from rolling out of position.

Okay thankyou that is much better-so the truck is still in drive, but the gear shifter has slid forward all the way to the park position and won't move now, right? When the shifter moved to park did you feel it go through the gears or did it slide?

Ms Wrench

Hello again,

Actually, either way the only way the truck is going to be able to be started is if someone gets underneath and manually shifts the transmission back into park. What has happened is the gear shift is no longer connected to the trans at some point, it could be at the point of the console or it could be at the trans case linkage, or it could be in the internal detente.

If you have the tools and the desire, I can post detailed repair instructions for removing the console and tracking down the problem.

Let me know, I'll be glad to assist you with whatever you need.

Thanks for using JA

Ms Wrench

Thanks. How do we fix it?

You will have to do a visual inspection under the truck and under the console to determine exactly where the problem is. CLICK HERE to go to the PDF files for removing the console and to repair the problem. I will be glad to assist if you need more help or more information.

Thanks for using JA

Ms Wrench

Ms. Wrench
Ms. Wrench, ASE Certified Technician
Ms. Wrench
Ms. Wrench
Ms. Wrench, ASE Certified Technician