ttiger79
ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Advanced Engine Performance
2207141

I have a 2005 Chevy Suburban. The brake lights dont work.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Chevy Suburban. The brake lights don't work. The brake light is a double filament bulb and the running lights work, but not the brake light. Checked fuses - all okay. I see from other posts that the brake light switch may need adjusting or replacing. How can I test the brake switch?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
Hi!
The brake switch is connected to the underside of the dash, towards the top of the brake pedal. There is going to be a 6 wire connector plugged into the switch. You will need to test 2 of the 6 for voltage using a voltmeter or a test light. The wires you will be looking at are orange, the other is white. The orange wire should be hot at all times. If not, check the 25amp STOP LP fuse in the interior fuse panel. If you do have power on this wire, check the white wire with the pedal pushed down. You should see power on the white wire with the switch closed. If not, the switch is bad.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for the response. I'll check it out and get back to you.
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
Sounds good! Let me know what you find!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ttiger79, that was exactly right! I have to say that I'm impressed. I picked up a new Brake Light Switch at the dealer and it worked like a charm. I'm suprised that something like that would fail so soon, but no matter - I have my brake lights back. Thank you! I appreciate your help.
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
That's great!! I'm glad it worked out for you! It's suprising the bugs that a lot of the newer vehicles have now! Seems like the more complicated the electrical systems get, the more gremlins show up!

Let me know if you have any questions in the future!