Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 4.3 Vortec Engine that I would like to know what it

Customer Question
came out of? The tag...
I have a 4.3 Vortec Engine that I would like to know what it came out of? The tag # XXXXX the valve cover is TAL TXXX-XX-XXXX. I bought this a few years ago to put in a 92 1/2 ton pickup but never did. I would like to find a vehicle with a bad engine and put this engine in!   Thanks Andy
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/23/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Bob, Auto Tech replied 9 years ago
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Engine Identification 4.3 V-6
Object Number: 569359  Size: SH

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Derivative is located on the left side rear of the engine block (1) or on the right side rear (2) and typically is a nine digit number stamped or laser etched onto the engine at the vehicle assembly plant.
- The first digit identifies the division.
- The second digit identifies the model year.
- The third digit identifies the assembly plant.
- The fourth through ninth digits are the last six digits of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

Object Number: 195338  Size: SH

Engines built at the Tonawanda engine plant have the engine identification number located at the right front top of the engine block.
- The first digit (1) is the source code.
- The second and third digits (2) are the month of build.
- The forth and fifth digits (3) are the date of build.
- The sixth, seventh, and eighth digits (4) are the broadcast code.

Object Number: 195339  Size: SH

Engines built at the Romulus engine plant have the engine identification number located at the right front top of the engine block.
- The fourth digit (3) is the hour of the build.
- The fifth and sixth digits (4) are the date of build.
- The seventh, eighth, and ninth digits (5) are the broadcast code.

Your answer is partially helpful but it doesnt tell me what the engine came out of?

I found the # XXXXX in the block on the right front corner and is T0915TAL. In your breakdown of the #s would indicate Tonawanda Sept 15th but what do the TAL Broadcast code mean? Does it indicate what year and model of vehicle it would have been in?

I need the numbers that are stamped on the left rear corner for ID purposes. Much of the info you have is not any good for ID and year, etc. Most of it is stuff they use in plant for production control etc. and is meaningless for us. If you look at the first picture in the first post, those are the areas and numbers we need and even then not all of them are useful because sometimes they will use the same casting number 3 or 4 years running, so the more numbers the better. Thanks

Engine Identification 4.3 V-6

Object Number: 569359  Size: SH
View Full Image

hopefully i can look at that today and get back with you!

Thanks Andy

Hi Andy, Good deal. When ever you get a chance. The problem with the 6 cylinders is that information on them is so much harder to find than it is on the V8 motors, I guess because the V8 is so popular for doing engine swaps with, etc. But if you get those numbers, I'll do my best to find you what you need, it just may take some digging. Thanks

I got the #s off the left rear of the cyl block today and they are CYZ162805

Thanks Andy

Hi Andy, Hate to ask, but could you also try to resend the first numbers that you posted in your very first post. They came through as a T followed by a bunch of X's. Something about this web site doesn't like to let numbers get posted, things like telephone numbers etc. What you gave me in the last post helps, but we still need something that resembles a casting number if possible. It would have 8 or so numbers in it and look more like 10227196 of even 14088640, etc. Also if you see anything that looks like a car or truck serial number and could send that too? Similar to 1GECK14Z5VZ176405 or anything that looks similar. Thanks

The # XXXXX sent in the original was on like a decal on the right front valve cover, the left rear valve cover and i noticed today there was one on the oil pan all with the same # XXXXX it is

TALTXXXXXXXXX with a bar code on the decal as well. I will look tomorrow for the other #s as well. I didnt mean to be such a pain!!

Thanks Andy

Trust me, you are not being a pain. The problem is the way GM stamps these motors with ID numbers and the locations that they put them in. Even the old in line 6 cylinders have similar problems, all the book does is generalize about them. Specifics can be hard to come by. Most of the time the numbers and letters will be stamped into the metal in the locations shown in the pictures. Thanks a lot. Wish I could make it easier for you, but can't.

I see the x's again, I will put 2 digits and then space between and see what happens!

TA LT 90 91 51 04 7

Sorry, those numbers don't show up either. If they came off of a label, they won't do us any good. See if you can find the ones stamped right into the metal on the block. Thanks

It has been a crazy week and I havent been able to look at the engine for the #s. I didnt want to think I had forgot !

Thanks Andy

Not a problem, Andy. When ever you get time. I'm in not hurry and may have to spend some time looking once we get the correct numbers. In the mean time, this site does send out automatically generated reminders. If you get any, just ignore them. Thanks

I got to look at the engine today and here are all the #s i have found,

On the decal with the bar code on it is TA LT 90 91 51 04 7

lazer etched on the right front of block T0 91 5T AL

CSTG # XXXXX rear GM 4.3 LG & 14 09 90 90 M

lazer etched on the left rear block CY Z1 62 80 5

left rear block has like a ink time stamp of 08 /15 10:13

Good deal, let me do some research and will see what I can come up with using these numbers. Will let you know either way, soon. Thanks
Hate to say it, but have had no luck with these numbers at all. The only numbers I can come up with that identify the thing are like those I sent you before. Really sorry we can't find the ones we need. Looks at this point like the best I can do is to opt out for you and hope someone else has some information on it that I am not able to find. Thanks for your patience.
Bob
Bob
Bob, Auto Tech