Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

How do i reset my security system on my 2001 chevy malibu

Customer Question

how do i reset my security system on my 2001 chevy malibu
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 9 years ago.

Follow this procedure exactly and let me know how it turns out ok.

10 Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password.
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed, history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.