Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

i have a 1996, 5.7 vortec 350hp engine, chevy cheyenne. i ...

i have a 1996, 5.7...
i have a 1996, 5.7 vortec 350hp engine, chevy cheyenne. i just replaced a distributor and i cant seem to find the timing marks or find the right spot for the time to be right. right now it sputtering at a low rpm and gradually goes away. what should i do?
8/2/2008
Dan, Auto Technician
So you need the distributor install directions?
so, is there any right position to be put in?
Distributor

Removal Procedure

Notice: If the distributor is removed from the engine, it can be re-installed using Procedure A as long as the crankshaft has not rotated from the original position. If the intake manifold, the cylinder head, the crankshaft, the camshaft, the timing gear, or the complete engine was removed or replaced, Procedure B must be followed in order to correctly install the distributor. A DTC code may also indicate an incorrectly installed distributor and engine or distributor damage may occur. Procedure B must then be used.

1. Turn OFF the ignition switch.
  2. Remove the spark plug and the ignition coil wires from the distributor cap.
  3. Remove the three-wire hall effect switch connector from the base of the distributor.
    Object Number: 4371  Size: SH

4. Remove the two screws holding the distributor cap to the housing.
    Object Number: 4373  Size: SH

5. Remove the distributor cap.
    5.1. Use a grease pencil in order to note the position of the rotor in relation to the distributor housing. Identify the mark with the number 1.
    5.2. Mark the distributor housing and the intake manifold with a grease pencil for proper alignment when reinstalling.
  6. Remove the mounting clamp hold down bolt.
  7. Remove the distributor.
    Object Number: 4376  Size: SH

8. As the distributor is being removed from the engine, you will notice the rotor move in a counter-clockwise direction about 42 degrees. This will appear as slightly more than one clock position. Noting the position of the rotor segment by placing a second mark on the base of the distributor will aid in achieving proper rotor alignment during the distributor installation. Identify the second mark on the distributor housing at number 2.

Installation Procedure A

1. Remove the new distributor cap.
    Object Number: 4376  Size: SH

2. If installing a new distributor assembly, place two marks on the new distributor housing in the same location as the two marks on the original housing.
  3. When installing the distributor, align the rotor with mark made at location 2.
    Object Number: 4373  Size: SH

4. Guide the distributor into place, making sure the mounting hole in the distributor hold down base is aligned over the mounting hole in the intake manifold.
  5. As the distributor is being installed, you will notice the rotor will move in a clockwise direction about 42 degrees.
  6. Once the distributor is completely seated, the rotor segment should be aligned with mark on the base in location number 1. If the rotor segment is not aligned with the number 1 mark, the gear teeth of the distributor and the camshaft have meshed one or more teeth out of time. In order to correct this condition, remove the distributor and reinstall it.
    Object Number: 4356  Size: SH

7. Install the cap and the mounting screws. Do not overtighten as they may strip.

Tighten
    Tighten the distributor cap screws to 5 N·m (45 lb in).

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

8. Install the distributor mounting clamp and bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the distributor clamp bolt to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

9. Install the three wire hall effect switch connector to the base of the distributor.
  10. Install the spark plug and the ignition coil wires to the distributor cap.

Important: If a check engine light is illuminated after installing the distributor and a DTC P1345 is found, the distributor has been installed incorrectly. Refer to procedure B for proper distributor installation.

Installation Procedure B

1. Rotate the number 1 cylinder up to Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke.
    Object Number: 4371  Size: SH

2. Remove the distributor cap screws and the distributor cap to expose the rotor.
    Object Number: 43756  Size: SH

3. Align the pre-drilled indent hole in the distributor driven gear with the white alignment line on the lower portion of the shaft housing.
    Object Number: 4348  Size: SH

4. The rotor should point to the cap hold down mount nearest the flat side of the housing.
    Object Number: 4350  Size: SH

5. Using a long screw driver, align the oil pump drive shaft to the drive tab of the distributor.
  6. Guide the distributor into place, ensuring that the spark plug towers are perpendicular to the centerline of the engine.
  7. Once the distributor is fully seated, the rotor segment should be aligned with the pointer cast into the distributor base. This pointer will have 6 cast into it, indicating that the distributor is to be used on a 6 cylinder engine. If the rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the pointer, the gear mesh between the distributor and the camshaft may be off a tooth or more. If this is the case, repeat the procedure again in order to achieve proper alignment.
    Object Number: 4356  Size: SH

8. Install the distributor cap and the mounting screws. Do not overtighten as they may strip.

Tighten

9. Install the distributor mounting clamp and tighten to the proper torque.

Tighten
    Tighten the distributor clamp and the bolt to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

10. Install the three wire hall effect switch connectors to the base of the distributor.
  11. Install the spark plug and the ignition coil wires to the distributor cap.

Important: If a check engine light is illuminated after installing the distributor and a DTC P1345 is found, the distributor has been installed incorrectly.

Dan, Auto Technician
Dan, Auto Technician