Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

1999 Cadillac Deville: engaged..10 minutes..unlock..few seconds

Cadillac Anti-theft deterrent system: I changed out the front seat on my 1999 Cadillac Deville, replacing the existing seat with another one from the junk yard. When I turned the key on to move the new seat into position, the information panel informed me the anti-theft system was now engaged and the car may not restart - it won''t. I telephoned Cadillac''s 24 hour owner line and they told me to lock the car and leave it alone for 10 minutes, then unlock the car and insert the key in the on position only for another 10 minutes, then turn the key off for a few seconds, turn the key on and see what happens. No change.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 9 years ago.

Ok here is a simple relearn that you can perform on your cart that should reset the theft system. if this does not work though, we are going to need access to a scan tool that can read bodty failure codes. This would give us the trouble code associated with this problem as to what the exact fault in the theft system is. Here is what to try. Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important: The vehicle learns the password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the password).