Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

How do I reset the emission sensor on my 2005 silverado 2500 hd?

Customer Question
how do I reset the emission sensor on my 2005 silverado 2500 hd?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
7/10/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Auto Technician replied 9 years ago
Dan, Auto Technician
Do you mean the service engine soon lamp and how to make it turn off?
Reply to Dan's Post: No. I am talking about resetting the emissions sensor that determines mpg.
Resetting the fuel economy on the cluster using the steering wheel controls? Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure we are on the same page ok.
Yes...
Driver Information Center (DIC) Description and Operation

Driver Information Center (DIC)

The driver information center (DIC) consists of a single line 22 character vacuum fluorescent (VF) display placed in the lower center area of the instrument panel cluster (IPC). The DIC will display vehicle information, configuration, and warning parameters to the driver.

The display parameters are cycled, changed, and acknowledged using 4 DIC buttons.

Trip Information
Button representation icon appears as a road to the horizon.
Fuel Information
Button representation icon appears as a gasoline pump.
Personalization
Button representation icon appears as a human next to vehicle.
Select
Button representation icon appears as an arrow.

DIC Displays

The DIC parameters are displayed by order of priority as follows (from highest to lowest) :

Service Diagnostics
Driver Identifier
Feature Programming
Driver Warnings
Vehicle Information

Vehicle Information

Vehicle information provides feedback to the driver on vehicle performance, mileage, maintenance, or related information.

Vehicle information can only be displayed with the ignition switch in the RUN position.

When the English/Metric status changes, any applicable vehicle information data values will also change.

DIC Trip Information / Reset Capabilities

The available DIC Trip Information and reset capabilities are as follows:

Odometer - Cannot be reset
Personal Trip Odometer - Can be reset
Business Trip Odometer - Can be reset
Timer - Can be reset
Hourmeter -- Cannot be reset

Trip Reset Stem

The trip reset stem on the IPC operates in the following manner with the ignition switch in the RUN position:

1. Each time the trip reset stem is pushed the display will cycle to the next trip parameter. The trip parameters are as follows:
    Odometer
    Personal Trip odometer
    Business Trip odometer
    Timer
    Hourmeter
  2. Holding the trip reset stem for greater than 1 second or depressing the SWC Select button while either Personal Trip or Business Trip odometer is displayed will reset the displayed trip odometer and all other corresponding trip parameters to 0.0 upon release of the stem. The trip odometer will remain displayed after being reset .
  3. If a trip information parameter is being displayed, pressing the DIC Trip Information button will display the next trip information parameter.
  4. If the next Trip Information parameter to be displayed is Timer, Hourmeter, or blank, pressing the reset stem will return the display to the Odometer.

Odometer

The odometer is capable of displaying values from 0 - 999,999 mi or km.

If the ignition is in the OFF or UNLOCK/ACC position, the odometer can be displayed by pressing the trip reset stem. The odometer will remain displayed for 5 seconds.

Trip Odometers

The DIC can display Personal Trip or Business Trip odometers.

The trip odometers are capable of displaying values from 0 - 999999.9 mi or km.

When the maximum value is reached, the trip odometer will roll over to 0.0.

Timer

The Timer is displayed as XX (hours) : XX (minutes) : XX (seconds).

The Timer is started and stopped using the DIC Select button.

Holding the Select button for longer than 1 second while the Timer parameter is displayed will reset the Timer to 00:00:00.

The Timer status and data value is retained in memory when the ignition is turned OFF. When the ignition is turned ON again, the Timer status and data value is resumed.

The Timer maximum value is 99:59:59. When the maximum is reached, the Timer rolls over to 00:00:00 and continues to operate.

Fuel Information

DIC Fuel Information / Reset Capabilities

The available DIC Fuel Information and reset capabilities are as follows:

Range - Can not be reset
Avg. Fuel Economy - Can be reset
Engine Oil Life - Can be reset

Range

The range display is the estimated distance that the vehicle can travel under current fuel economy and fuel level conditions.

This range is calculated from odometer information and class 2 messages.

Fuel Range is capable of displaying values from 0-999 mi or km.

Display appears as: RANGE: XXX MILES (English), RANGE: XXX km (Metric).

If the range is less than 40 miles, RANGE: LOW will be displayed.

Average Fuel Economy

The Average Fuel Economy (AFE) value is calculated by the cluster based on Trip Distance and Trip Fuel Used.

Pressing the Select button for longer than 1 second while the Average Fuel Economy is displayed in the DIC will reset to 0.0.

Average Fuel Economy is capable of displaying values from 0.0-99.9.

Display appears as: AVG ECON XX.X (English) MPG, AVG ECON XX.X L/100km (Metric).

Trip Distance and Trip Fuel Used accumulated values are stored in memory when the ignition is turned OFF.

Engine Oil Life

Engine Oil Life percentage values are based on class 2 messages to the IPC. The IPC requests this value when Engine Oil Life is selected on the DIC.

Engine Oil Life is capable of displaying values from 0-100 percent and the OIL LIFE RESET driver warning will be displayed.

Pressing the Select button for longer than 5 seconds while Engine Oil Life is displayed on the DIC the value will reset to 100 percent.

Display appears as ENGINE OIL LIFE: XXX%.

Feature Programming

Refer to Personalization Description and Operation .

Driver Warnings

For the list of Driver Warnings, refer to Indicator/Warning Message Description and Operation .

Dan, Auto Technician
Thanks
You are welcome. Let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with ok. Thanks for using JustAnswer.
Dan, Auto Technician