Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

cavalier: specs and order to adjust the rocker arms

Customer Question
90 2.2 cavalier what is...
90 2.2 cavalier what is the specs and order to adjust the rocker arms.thnx
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/24/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH replied 9 years ago
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH

Here is what I have got for valve adjustment on your engine.

• Adjust the valves when the lifter is on the base circle of a camshaft lobe:

1. Crank the engine until the mark on the crankshaft pulley lines up with the O mark on the timing tab. Make sure that the engine is in the No. 1 firing position. Place your fingers on the No. 1 rocker arms as the mark on the crank pulley comes near the O mark. If the valves are not moving, the engine is in the No. 1 firing position. If the valves move, the engine is in the No. 4 firing position; rotate the engine one complete revolution and it will be in the No. 1 position.

2. When the engine is in the No. 1 firing position, adjust the following valves: Exhaust - 1,3 Intake - 1,2

3. Back the adjusting nut out until lash can be felt at the pushrod, then turn the nut until all lash is removed (this can be determined by rotating the pushrod while turning the adjusting nut). When all lash has been removed, turn the nut in 11/2 additional turns, this will center the lifter plunger.

4. Crank the engine one complete revolution until the timing tab and the O mark are again in alignment. Now the engine is in the No. 4 firing position. Adjust the following valves: Exhaust - 2,4 Intake - 3,4

• Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!

were will be the o mark.
    This mark should be on the balancer on the crankshaft.
    ok and wat should they be tightened to.Clearence wise.On the feler gauge?
    well the first thign you want to do is to take them to zero lash. To do this you will simply tighten the nut by hand until you can no longer spin the push rod by hand. Then you will want to turn the nut 1.5 turns. This will set the rockers as they should be. Then you will need to move to the nex one and do the same.
    it a new motor breaking in does that make a difference.
    That should not make a difference. You may want to verify that the lifters have all been soaked in oil and that you are using cam prelube is being used if the cam is new.
    it was put it geather by a enigine builder it for a 4cly race car.
    Then I would check with him to verify if he recommends cam prelube. The rocker setting should not have anything to do with a break in type situation.
    ok i ran on it and there chattering.
    Have you soaked them in oil? I try to soak them, but sometimes i have found it best to use an oil can and actually pump oil into the oiling holes. This fills the lifters up so that they do not make the noise as you have had.
    they were pre soaked be4 the motor was put togeather.I run a thicker oil 15w-40 10w 30 broke down to quick.

Has this cylinder head been cut down? And mody that would affect the deck height or cylinder head mounting height?

the block was deked cuz it had some rust.It was a weberacing cam 110 degree lob seperation.bored 40 over
    Do you know how much the deck height was cut? Do you ave the cam card for your cam? Does it specify a particular ratio rocker arm?
    it was will work with stock rock arms and specs and it was very slight i ten thouseth on a in it was enough to smooth it out cuz of the rust.
    Have you been able to verify any oil flow to the lifters, push rods, and rocker arms?
    yea i pulled the rock cover there is oil all over the rockers and in the head i turn it over it squirting oil out.It has 6 races on it and they just started chattering.it hold about 95lb of oil pressure.When im im high rpm.
    Well I really am out of ideas. You are getting oil and so on, the lifters should be staying pumped up. I am not sure what else I can tell you. I am going to opt out to see if any other experts have any additional info that I may be missing! Good luck!
    thnx.
    Carhelp4u
    Carhelp4u
    Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH