Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2003 chevy tracker: bearing and seal..wheel drive..rear end

Customer Question
Hello can you tell me...
Hello can you tell me how to pull the left rear alxe to replace bearing and seal on a 2003 Chev TrackerXXXXXthank you Chris need to pull alxe from rear end housing
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
5/21/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Auto Technician replied 9 years ago
Dan, Auto Technician
Rear Axle Shaft Replacement

Tools Required

J 2619-01 Slide Hammer
J 22912-B Split-Plate Bearing Puller
J 34866 Wheel Hub Remover
J 43631 Ball Joint Remover
J 45103 Axle Shaft Remover

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  2. Place a drain pan or suitable container under the rear axle housing.
    Object Number: 173665  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  3. Remove the filler plug (1) from the rear axle housing.
  4. Remove the drain plug (2) and drain the oil from the rear axle housing.
  5. Remove the rear tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
  6. Remove the brake drum. Refer to Brake Drum Replacement in Drum Brakes.
    Object Number: 470556  Size: SH
  7. Remove the 4 nuts (4,6) from the bearing retainer studs.
  8. If the vehicle has ABS, disconnect the wheel speed sensor (5) and position the sensor aside.
    Object Number: 790107  Size: SH
  9. Install the J 45103 (2) to 2 wheel studs.
  10. Install the J 34866 (3) and 2 wheel nuts to the J 45103 .
  11. Install the J 2619-01 (4) to the J 34866 .

Important: Use minimal force on the rear axle.

Important: Position the bearing retainer between the brake shoes and the springs.

12. Remove the rear axle shaft and the bearing from the rear axle housing.
    Object Number: 467988  Size: SH
  13. If the vehicle has ABS, use a grinder in order to flatten 2 opposite sides of the ABS reluctor wheel (1).
  14. Use a grinder in order to flatten 2 opposite sides of the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring.
    Object Number: 467995  Size: SH
  15. If the vehicle has ABS, use a hammer and a cold chisel in order to remove the ABS reluctor wheel (1).
  16. Use a hammer and a cold chisel in order to remove the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring from the axle shaft (2).
    Object Number: 173683  Size: SH
  17. Use the J 22912-B and a hydraulic press in order to remove the rear axle shaft bearing (1) from the rear axle shaft .
    17.1. Place the J 22912-B on the rear axle shaft between the rear axle shaft bearing and the rear axle shaft bearing retainer.
    17.2. Place the rear axle shaft in a hydraulic press. Slowly press the rear axle shaft bearing off the rear axle shaft.
  18. Remove the rear axle shaft bearing retainer from the rear axle shaft.
  19. Remove the seal from the retainer.
  20. Use the J 43631 or the hydraulic press in order to remove the 5 wheel studs from the axle flange.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 468528  Size: SH
  1. Use the J 22912-B and a hydraulic press in order to install the rear axle shaft bearing (1) onto the rear axle shaft .
    1.1. With the concave side facing away from the rear axle shaft bearing, place the J 22912-B on the rear axle shaft below the rear axle shaft bearing.
    1.2. Place the rear axle shaft in a hydraulic press.
    1.3. Slowly press the rear axle shaft bearing to its original position behind the rear axle shaft bearing retainer (3).
  2. If the vehicle has ABS, press fit the rear ABS reluctor wheel (2).
  3. Use the J 22912-B and a hydraulic press in order to install the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring (3) onto the rear axle shaft.
    3.1. With the concave side facing away from the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring, place the J 22912-B on the rear axle shaft below the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring.
    3.2. Place the rear axle shaft in a hydraulic press.
    3.3. Slowly press the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring past the shaft taper to its original position behind the rear axle shaft bearing.
  4. Inspect the rear axle shaft inner oil seal for cuts or other damage. Replace the oil seal if necessary. Refer to Rear Axle Shaft Seal Replacement - Left Side .
  5. Apply wheel bearing lubricant GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNN(Canadian P/N 993037), or equivalent, to the rear axle inner oil seal lip in the rear axle housing.
  6. Apply General Motors Sealer GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNN or equivalent, to the rear axle shaft bearing retainer ring mating surface on the brake backing plate.
    Object Number: 468522  Size: SH
  7. Align the serrations on the wheel stud (1) with the serrations in the rear axle flange hole.
  8. Use a wheel nut (2) and a washer (3) in order to install the wheel stud.
  9. Remove the wheel nut and the washer from the wheel stud.

Important: The length of the left axle shaft is different than the length of the right axle shaft.

Object Number: 467977  Size: SH
  10. Measure the left rear axle shaft length from the differential end of the shaft to the outside edge of the axle shaft flange.

Specification
    The left rear axle shaft length is 711.5 mm (28.0 in).

Object Number: 589967  Size: SH
  11. Measure the right rear axle shaft length from the differential end of the shaft to the outside edge of the axle shaft flange.

Specification
    The right rear axle shaft length is 757 mm (29.8 in).

12. Install the rear axle shaft and bearing into the rear axle housing. Verify the rear axle shaft bearing is firmly seated into the rear axle housing.
    Object Number: 470556  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

13. Install the 4 nuts (4,6) to the rear axle shaft retainer studs.

Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 23 N·m (17 lb ft).

14. Install the rear brake drum. Refer to Brake Drum Replacement in Drum Brakes.
  15. If the vehicle has ABS, install the wheel speed sensor (5).
  16. Install the rear tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
    Object Number: 173665  Size: SH
  17. Apply TeflonTM Pipe Sealant, GM P/N 12346004 (Canadian P/N 10953480), or equivalent, to the threaded portion of the drain plug.
  18. Install the drain plug (2) into the rear axle housing.

Tighten
    Tighten the rear plug to 25 N·m (18.4 lb ft).

19. Refill the rear axle housing with approximately 2.2 liters (4.6 pints) of 80W-90 GL5 lubricant, GM P/N 12345977 (Canadian P/N 10953482), or equivalent. The oil level should be even with the bottom of the filler plug hole.
  20. Install the rear axle housing oil filler plug (1) into the rear axle housing.

Tighten
    Tighten the plug to 43 N·m (31.7 lb ft).

21. Remove the drain pan from under the rear axle housing.
  22. Lower the vehicle.
Dan, Auto Technician
Do I need to replace the abs sencer wheel
Nope, just remove the axle shaft from the axle housing and that will allow you to remove and replace the axle seal. Be sure to clean the axle surface where the seal rides so it's a nice clean surface for the seal.
It says grand the wheel so just thorw it away the car dont need it or please explain
Those are all steps if the axle were to be replaced. Since you are replacing the axle seal all that you need to take from this info is the procedure to remove the axle shaft and install the axle shaft into the axle housing. Sorry I wasn't clearer about the details and procedures.
Dan, Auto Technician