Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2005 Chevy Malibu: clicking noise..the steering column..keeps coming

Customer Question
We bought our 2005 Chevy...
We bought our 2005 Chevy Malibu about 2 months ago, now there is a clicking noise in the steering column when we turn. I''ve just read online that this is very common in this year of Malibu''s and other owners have had to not only take it in for repairs but that is keeps coming back! Is this true? Our vehicle is just over the 36,000 mark.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
5/21/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Auto Technician replied 9 years ago
Dan, Auto Technician
#04-02-35-009A: Noise in Steering Column, Lack of Power Steering Assist, DTCs C0460 and C0545, Steering Wheel Moves Slightly By Itself (Replace Steering Column) - (Nov 8, 2007)

Subject:Noise in Steering Column, Lack of Power Steering Assist, DTCs C0460 and C0545, Steering Wheel Moves Slightly By Itself (Replace Steering Column)

Models:2004-2005 Chevrolet Malibu
2005 Pontiac G6

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2005 Malibu, the 2005 Pontiac G6 and update the steering column part number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-02-35-009 (Section 02 -- Steering Wheel and Column).

Condition

Some customers may comment on any of the following concerns:

A rattle or clunk noise from the left lower instrument panel or foot well area.
With the engine running and the vehicle not moving, the steering wheel may move a few degrees off center, left and right, by itself, without driver input.
With the vehicle in motion, the driver may comment about a steering wheel vibration that feels like a wheel out of balance. This condition does not impair the ability of the driver to control the vehicle.
An intermittent lack of power steering assist.

Technicians may find the following diagnostic trouble codes:

Diagnostic Trouble Code C0460 Symptom 00 (Steering Position Sensor)
Diagnostic Trouble Code C0545 Symptom 00 (Steering Wheel Torque Input Sensor)

Cause

These conditions may be caused by excessive clearance between the assist gears or by a failure of the torque sensor in the steering column.

Noise Diagnosis

Perform the following check as an aid in diagnosing a steering column noise. With the engine running and the vehicle not moving, turn the steering wheel rapidly back and forth an inch or two off center and listen for a click or rattle noise inside the steering column. If these noises are present, it may indicate excessive clearance between the gears inside the steering column.

Correction

Technicians are to install a new steering column kit, P/N 15926870, to correct the conditions listed above. Refer to the Steering Column Replacement procedure in the Steering section of SI.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

15926870

Column Assembly, Steering

1

Dan, Auto Technician
Dan, Auto Technician