Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2001 chevy S10: Hood release cable seems to be broken

2001 chevy S10. Hood...
2001 chevy S10. Hood release cable seems to be broken. How do I open the hood to repair?
5/18/2008
RussMasterTech
RussMasterTech, ASE Certified Technician

HelloCustomer

Can you tell me if it broke at the inside lever? If the lever broke and the cable is still attached under the hood, then you should be able to grab the small metal ball at the end of the cable with a pliers or a vise grips and while someone else pushes down on the hood, you should pull the cable inside. This should work.

If the ball on the end of the cable has broken, try to cut away some of the plastic cable cover until you can find some of the metal cable to grab with the vise grips.

If it is broken under the hood, you should be able to pull the grille out enough to find the cable and release it from it's retainer and then pull the cable to release the latch.

If none of this works, you will need to unbolt the latch that holds the hood down.

Hopefully the handle broke inside and you can use the vise grips trick with an assistant.

Note: Make sure you lube the latch with white lithium grease to prevent this from happening again. A binding latch puts more stress on the cable.

If this is the information you were looking for, please make sure to click the "Accept" button so I may receive the credit for helping you today. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Russ

RussMasterTech
Reply to RussMasterTech's Post: It's not broken at the inside lever. The cable pulls but there is no resistance, like its not connected at the latch. Not sure where to pull the grill out and where the retainer is?

Here's the cable replacement document. This should give you an idea of what area you need to get to.

The grille is just clipped in with retainers. If you pull straight forward on the grille, you should be able to get it out far enough to get you hand up to the latch area. It may not be easy, but it should work.

Russ

Hood Primary Latch Release Cable Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 1558  Size: SH

1. Open and support the hood.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the windshield wiper washer reservoir.
  4. Remove the screws securing the underhood fuse block in order to pull the unit away from the fender.
  5. Remove the cruise control module.

Important: Block the hood latch in order to prevent the hood from locking until you have installed the hood latch release cable.

6. Disconnect the hood latch cable from the primary latch assembly.

Use a flat-bladed tool in order to release the clip and lift the cable assembly from the primary latch.

7. In order to aid in installation, tie a mechanic's wire to the end of the cable.
    Object Number: 608192  Size: SH

8. Remove the clips that retain the hood release cable.

Pry open the clips with a flat-bladed tool.

9. Pull the cable back through the opening between the radiator support and the left fender.
  10. Pull the cable back from behind the antilock brake module.
    Object Number: 608191  Size: SH

11. Remove the body hinge trim panel.
  12. Remove the park brake pedal assembly.
  13. Remove the hood release cable grommet.
  14. Remove the adhesive tape securing the release cable to the side of the cowl.
  15. Remove the hood release cable and the lever bolts from the cowl side panel.
  16. Remove the hood latch cable assembly from the vehicle.

Guide the cable through the cowl panel underneath the instrument panel from the inside of the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 594019  Size: SH

1. Transfer the mechanics wire to the new cable.
  2. Guide the cable through the cowl panel underneath the instrument panel from the inside of the vehicle.
  3. Guide the cable along the left fender behind the antilock brake module, the underhood fuse block, and the windshield wiper/washer reservoir.
  4. Route the cable around the end of the radiator support.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Object Number: 608191  Size: SH

5. Install the hood release cable and the lever bolts to the cowl side panel.

Tighten
    Tighten the hood release cable and the lever bolts to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

6. Secure the release cable to the side of the cowl with adhesive tape.
    Object Number: 608192  Size: SH

7. Install the hood release cable to the retaining clips.
    Object Number: 302984  Size: SH

8. Install the hood release cable grommet.
    Object Number: 1558  Size: SH

9. Install the hood latch cable to the latch.
  10. Install the park brake pedal assembly.
  11. Install the body hinge pillar trim panel.
  12. Install the cruise control module.
  13. Install the screws securing the underhood fuse block.
  14. Install the windshield wiper/washer reservoir.
  15. Connect the negative battery cable.
  16. Inspect the hood latch release cable for proper operation.
  17. Close the hood.

©

OK, I got out there and poppped the grill out to where I could see some stuff. It looks as if there is a large spring jammed in sideways. I am trying to get it out. I'll get back to you later.
Thanks
Looks like the spring that supplies upwards pressure on the hood had become unsecured and was blocking the release mechanism. I had to pull it out (totally destroyed). Then with one person operating the lever and the other supplying the upward pressure on the hood it could be opened. The only part of your information I could use was the idea of just pulling on the grill to loosen it so I could see in there and discover the problem.
Thanks for the info. This was my first time using "justanswer.com" and I am happy with the results.
RussMasterTech
RussMasterTech