Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My Chevy S10 started overheating (220 degrees) while I was ...

Customer Question
My Chevy S10 started overheating...
My Chevy S10 started overheating (220 degrees) while I was going up and down hills and went to the red side 3 or 4 times (check gauge light came on), then would go back to the 220-230 degree mark. Can you tell me why? The temperature usually stays below the half way mark.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chevy
5/10/2008
Chevy Mechanic: Super Mechanic, Master technician replied 9 years ago
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There may be a sticking thermostat but you will want to make sure that the radiator is not clogged up. When the engine is warm, (or hot) you can check the radiator for any cool spots with either a digital temp gun of sometimes your hands. Be careful not to get burned theough.

If there are any cool spots in the radiator that means it is clogged in those spots. You might want to first try a new thermostat and flushing the cooling system out and see how it does.

Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician