Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

i have a 1997 chevy cavalier.ets and check engine light ...

Customer Question

i have a 1997 chevy cavalier.ets and check engine light on.car is bucking.where is the computer located????
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 9 years ago.

The computer is located on the right hand side of the engine compartment in front of the right hand wheel. Here is an illustration.

graphic

Before you jump to any conclusions though I would recommend having this vehicle scanned for trouble codes. This will require a scan tool. If you do not have one of these available to you, you may want to check with you local auto part store to see if they do free engine diagnostic scans. This would give you a trouble code regarding your exact failure. If you can do this and post the code, I can further assist you. Good luck!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
how much does this does this engine module cost...rough guess?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 9 years ago.

The module itself costs $512.62 from the dealer. This would be pt#16228016. I would check with your dealer to verify this is the correct unit for your car though. You may also save a few bucks buying an aftermarket remanufactured unit from autozone or a parts place like that. I would also like to tell you that there hase been a large amount of these that have actually suffered from moisture intrusion do to the placement of this module.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks for the help.i think moisture is the problem.had it cleaned once.poor design.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 9 years ago.
You are correct, this was a bad idea. If you check with your local dealer they should be able to supply you with a protector that will keep water from getting sprayed against the module.